Confused newbie

RhythmInside

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all.

I was diagnosed as type 2 in August 2023 with a hb1ac of 108.
I I was started on metforin and am now on 1000mg twice a day and immediately changed my diet to remove as much sugar as I could (I ate lots of sweet food and drank lots of full sugar drinks) as well as cutting out beers and sweet wines, and reducing my carb intake.
I have just had my first 3 month blood test and my hb1ac was 42.
To say I was surprised by this is an understatement.
What I want to ask is has anyone else had a turnaround like this?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Several, but more people either start from lower than 100 or go slower than you did.
3 major reasons for taking it slower are:
1. Rapid BG changes often affect vision (temporarily until the body adjusts to current BG level).
2. The more rapid the change in diet, the less sustainable it is (on average).
3. If significant weight is lost too fast, then lose skin can develop and may not get re-absorbed (at least not for a relatively long time).

Reactions: RhythmInside

RhythmInside

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Several, but more people either start from lower than 100 or go slower than you did.
3 major reasons for taking it slower are:
1. Rapid BG changes often affect vision (temporarily until the body adjusts to current BG level).
2. The more rapid the change in diet, the less sustainable it is (on average).
3. If significant weight is lost too fast, then lose skin can develop and may not get re-absorbed (at least not for a relatively long time).

Thanks for the answer.

I have lost about 5kg since the end of August but wasn’t massively overweight so don’t have any concerns about loose skin and my vision hasn’t been a problem.

Reactions: EllieM

Billy H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-all medics who think they know better than me
My partner was diagnosed as T2 diabetes a few years ago.
He totally reigned in his diet following the plan from Norwich University to rapidly lose weight, resulting in going into remission.
Since then, he has returned to his normal diet but massively reduced alcohol to the occasional beer and stayed away from chocolate in any form.
His weight raised slightly on his post-diet levels but remained in remission.
His method is being aware of how he feels and adjusting to physical signals.

Reactions: RhythmInside