Confused

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Hi everyone, I'm a little confused. Since going to my doctors last month for a diabetic review which was all good. lost 26 lb and went from 94 to 50 on my hba1c. The nurse told me my bad colesterol had risen from 5.4 to 5.9. So I reduced my cheese intake although still maintaining the lchf . But this week I have gained almost 2 lb! I'm so confused and a little disheartened. Any advice where I've gone wrong please.

Reactions: SWUSA_
M

mist

Are you working out? Exercising?

Because if that's the case, muscle tissue is heavier than fat tissue. So if your replacing fat tissue with muscle then you will be heavier.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You may not have gone wrong at all. You might just be carrying a bit of extra fluid. My weight can fluctuate up and down by as much as 5 pounds in a day. I will suddenly have an eight or so hour period where I am in the bathroom every 15 minutes and will drop 5 pounds just like that. Don't worry too much, just keep doing what you know works and it will start moving down again.

Reactions: Prem51 and mist
M

mist

You may not have gone wrong at all. You might just be carrying a bit of extra fluid. My weight can fluctuate up and down by as much as 5 pounds in a day. I will suddenly have an eight or so hour period where I am in the bathroom every 15 minutes and will drop 5 pounds just like that. Don't worry too much, just keep doing what you know works and it will start moving down again.

Your poop is heavy! :D

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hope this isn't off track, but fluid status can be important, more so in ladies than men.

Out of interest, and to demonstrate:
Urine - 1 litre weighs 1kg (it is indeed heavy @mist)
In hospital:
-babies and very young children, nappies are weighed to assess urine output (in critical cases a catheter would be used, and of course a dirty nappy complicates things!)
-Cardiac surgery patients mostly have diuretics immediately post-op, patients are weighed every day before breakfast to assess fluid status, big drop and diuretics may be discontinued (it's not for body mass loss.)

Reactions: chalup and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I'm a little confused. Since going to my doctors last month for a diabetic review which was all good. lost 26 lb and went from 94 to 50 on my hba1c. The nurse told me my bad colesterol had risen from 5.4 to 5.9. So I reduced my cheese intake although still maintaining the lchf . But this week I have gained almost 2 lb! I'm so confused and a little disheartened. Any advice where I've gone wrong please.

Hopefully dragging the thread back on topic and away from @mist's scatalogical 'humour'...

@paganlass have you maybe replaced the cheese with something that may cause water retention?
Or changed your eating in other ways?

I never trust my scales to actually reflect fat loss. Fluid AND fat? Yes.
My fluid retention varies by 2-5 pounds from morning to morning, and then there are variations acroos the month (don't ya love hormones?), so i ALWAYS take the readings with a pich of salt, and weigh several days in a row, then average the result.

Weighing weekly makes it almost impossible to show any trend at all.

Hopes that helps.

Reactions: Prem51