Confused

rissole

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed nov16, having a bypass op 10 years ago and recently having more tests all clear on that, regular b/test for cholesterol was5. 1 & hba1c 44 said col was ok, told them cardiologist wanted it to be 3, just told me to lose weight and come back in 3 months, and cut down on carbs.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed nov16, having a bypass op 10 years ago and recently having more tests all clear on that, regular b/test for cholesterol was5. 1 & hba1c 44 said col was ok, told them cardiologist wanted it to be 3, just told me to lose weight and come back in 3 months, and cut down on carbs.

welcome here rissole :)

are you asking for advice ?

I´ll tag @daisy1 so you´ll get all the advice everyone new gets in here, very valuable informations

if so I would suggest you to eat more of these foods :

nuts all sorts walnuts, brazil nut and macadamia nuts, olive oil on greek salat, and fish oil and fish , and eat alot of green salats with tomatoes and cucumber and peppers, and lean meat. lean cottage cheese and and take as many long walks as you are able too on a daily basis...which also help lower ones cholesterol.

avoid bread and potatoes and rice and all sorts of fruit, except from berries in smaller amounts.. aviod all kinds of sugars

and maybe drink a glass with one table spoon of apple cider vinegar before all main meals...

sleep is also important a good nights sleep so maybe not drink too much coffee after midday...
I have lowered my own cholesterol this way so hope it will work for you too , wish you good luck on your way :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
rissole, I do empathize. When I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, I was told to lose weight and was referred to an endocrinologist who monitored me quarterly for the next three years, pressuring me all along the way to take Metformin which I declined.

They did however gave me a glucose monitor kit, showed me now to use it, then told me to keep my glucose levels below a specific number. BUT they never explained to me how to reduce my glucose levels by "cutting down on carbs."...

Pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes is essentially a carbohydrate intolerance. A good place to start before you make any changes to your diet is to buy the cheapest glucose test strips you can find in your country and the glucose kit to go with them. With that you'll be able to get some good baseline numbers of where you are now. :)

Are you in the UK or elsewhere? Members here can advise you on the cheapest glucose test strips in your area and where to buy them.

Be back soon. Going to try to find my post where I explain how to use a glucose meter...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes to have a blood glucose monitor is essential... you´ll need that too...

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@rissole here's my post on what a blood glucose kit looks like and how to use it. Lots of detail. Read, and re-read as much as needed... Scroll down to post #23 here... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ll-high-whats-next.105271/page-2#post-1215393

Oh, finally remembered what I left out of those instructions... Wash your hands before testing. If you get a high glucose level reading, wash your hands then test again. :)

Keep the questions coming. I was really frustrated in the beginning too. Well, we all are. Actually I alternated between sadness and anger. Glad you found us. Freema and others here will walk you through this. :)

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, in the post I linked to above for you, I realize now that I forgot to mention WHEN to test...

1) Upon awakening, referred to as fasting blood gluocose, FBG

2) Before sitting down to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner or snack, pre-B, pre-L, pre-D, pre-S

3) 2-hours or 1- and 2-hour post meals/snacks, 1-hr post-[B, L, D, S], 2-hour post-[B, L, D, S]

4) Before retiring for the evening, Bed

I note this information on notecards now, one per day, but there's lots of different ways to do this - (through trial and error you'll find what works best for you)...

Here's what my Tuesday looked like - (numbers are in mg/dl, not mmol/L, sorry):

112 ..... 9:25 am ..... FBG

106 ..... 10:00 am ..... pre-B

122 ..... 10:59 am .....1-hr post-B

115 ..... 1:19 pm ..... 2-hr 20 min post-B

98 ..... 1:40 pm ..... late, immediately following L

142 ..... 2:41 pm ..... 1-hr+ post-L

127 ..... 3:43 pm ..... 2-hr+ post-L

98 ..... 5:44 pm ..... pre-D

135 ..... 7:05 pm ..... 1-hr post-D

154 ..... 8:07 pm ..... 2-hr post-D

136 ..... 9:09 pm ..... 3-hr post-D

106 ..... 12 am ..... Bed

Some days I'm so busy, I may only test two times, other times, particularly if my glucose levels have creeped up over a couple of weeks, I'll test a lot. Also, I get a 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) or higher reading, I'll test more until I'm confident that gluocose level is down again.

I also suggest noting what you ate during each meal or snack so you can track how different foods and combination affect your blood glucose levels.