Confused!!

FLizH

Hi diabetes forum :)
I am very confused as to whether I have diabetes or not and was hoping to find some guidance here!
I had a urine sample taken two days ago for a abdominal condition recently and it showed elevated sugar levels in my urine - the doctor then did a finger prick test and the result was 12.2 - the doctor then told me that this was very high - asked me if I had eaten recently - I had cereals about an hour before the test - and told me to come back the next day to be re-tested (this was out of hour services) as she was worried I have diabetes.

I turned up yesterday as requested for the other doctor to tell me that it was pointless doing another finger prick test (he didn't do one) and that I needed an IV blood sample taken - which I now have booked for Weds. He took a urine sample though which was normal with no sign of elevated sugar.

What should I make of this? As my reading was very high does this mean I have diabetes, or can only the blood sample tell me for sure?

I had a routine blood test done last year which came back as normal, would it have shown something then if I were diabetic?

Any help appreciated - I am worried!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi diabetes forum :)
I am very confused as to whether I have diabetes or not and was hoping to find some guidance here!
I had a urine sample taken two days ago for a abdominal condition recently and it showed elevated sugar levels in my urine - the doctor then did a finger prick test and the result was 12.2 - the doctor then told me that this was very high - asked me if I had eaten recently - I had cereals about an hour before the test - and told me to come back the next day to be re-tested (this was out of hour services) as she was worried I have diabetes.

I turned up yesterday as requested for the other doctor to tell me that it was pointless doing another finger prick test (he didn't do one) and that I needed an IV blood sample taken - which I now have booked for Weds. He took a urine sample though which was normal with no sign of elevated sugar.

What should I make of this? As my reading was very high does this mean I have diabetes, or can only the blood sample tell me for sure?

I had a routine blood test done last year which came back as normal, would it have shown something then if I were diabetic?

Any help appreciated - I am worried!

Don't get distressed just yet. An infection may have raised your glucose levels temporarily. Even so 12.2 is rather excessive so get retested, idealy an HbAlc to determine the true state of your condition. Fingers crossed on the outcome. Remember - the forum is here to help as much as possible. Good luck on the outcome.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you just have to wait .. if you do not have diabetes then it is great, if you on the other hand do have diabetes, then it is not just going to go away without any great effort.. so my advice is; wait for the result of the blood test from your vein as it is the most reliable way to see if you are diabetic because it shows how high your blood glucose has been in average the last 3 month.. and if that is too high in diabetic level there would not likely be any doubt.

we diabetics who follow a low carb diet can actually be in the normal non diabetic levels in blood glucose, because we follow this eating style and advice... so here in this forum you see many that on a daily basis reports totally normal non diabetic levels while still knowing that they are in fact diabetic... so well if one do nor eat any carbs then it is perfectly possible to have non diabetic levels while being a diabetic without doubt...

if you end up getting the diagnosis then stay in this forum as it is here you get the most effective advice even better advice than diabetic dietists advices in health clinics ... if you do the low carb diet proberly your blood glucose will soon levels down in normal range unless of cause you are in need of insuline... but as your urine did show a normal level one time lately that is not very likely..

try to keep your worrying away untill you get the very reliable results from the long term blood test

Last edited:
Reactions: leslie10152

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I think you just have to wait .. if you do not have diabetes then it is great, if you on the other hand do have diabetes, then it is not just going to go away without any great effort.. so my advice is; wait for the result of the blood test from your vein as it is the most reliable way to see if you are diabetic because it shows how high your blood glucose has been in average the last 3 month.. and if that is too high in diabetic level there would not likely be any doubt.

we diabetics who follow a low carb diet can actually be in the normal non diabetic levels in blood glucose, because we follow this eating style and advice... so here in this forum you see many that on a daily basis reports totally normal non diabetic levels while still knowing that they are in fact diabetic... so well if one do nor eat any carbs then it is perfectly possible to have non diabetic levels while being a diabetic without doubt...

if you end up getting the diagnosis then stay in this forum as it is here you get the most effective advice even better advice than diabetic dietists advices in health clinics ... if you do the low carb diet proberly your blood glucose will soon levels down in normal range unless of cause you are in need of insuline... but as your urine did show a normal level one time lately that is not very likely..

try to keep your worrying away untill you get the very reliable results from the long term blood test
Well said!

FLizH

Thank you so much for the prompt responses! I will let you know about the outcome of the blood test - and if it is positive as you say I know where to come for advice too. Thanks so much!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You may find it advisable to start looking at an alternative to eating cereals, presumably for breakfast although I have had them at other mealtimes. Eggs in various forms, yoghurt with a few berries etc. are all much lower in carbohydrates.

Reactions: FLizH

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Your 12.2 was high, but this was a random test an hour after eating a very sugary breakfast, which may explain the high level. (Cereals are one of the worst culprits in raising levels). Also you were experiencing an abdominal issue at the time, which could also have affected it. (illness, infection, stress all raise levels).

The test you will be having is the HbA1c test, and that will measure your average glucose over the previous 2 to 3 months. This is the test used to diagnose diabetes. Under 42 and you are safe (for now!), 42 to 47 is deemed to be pre-diabetic. 48 and over is diabetic.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Reactions: FLizH