1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by donneecox, Apr 20, 2018.

1. donneecox

donneecox Type 2 · Member

Hi, hoping someone can help me out. I go to the gym every morning, I’ve tested my glucose levels once I’ve got back from the gym, before I have something to eat. Yesterday it was 9.1 as the day went on it dropped to 6.3. The reading I have for this morning is still high. Can anyone explain why it could be high on a morning but then drops during the day!
    Thanks

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

This is very common and discussed a lot on this forum.
    It is called "Dawn Phenomenon": our bodies releasing glucose to help us start the day. This happens with everyone whether they have diabetes or not. The difference we have with diabetes is that our pancreas is not very good at handling that extra glucose.

Take a look around the forum and you'll find some techniques for reducing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. TooManyCrisps

TooManyCrisps Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get this. My morning readings are always high and if I skip breakfast they shoot up throughout the morning. Morning exercise also pushes them up. So I go to the gym in the evening instead. It's a pain as I'd rather go before work and have the evenings free, but my pancreas says otherwise.

5. rom35

rom35 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@TooManyCrisps Try to eat small portion of cheese (to tickle pancreas) and than go to gym. You will see...

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Part of that 9.1 morning test after gym will be due to the exercise you did at the gym on an empty stomach.

Do you also test at bedtime and again as soon as you get up? That would tell you more clearly if you have dawn phenomenon in addition to the effects of the exercise.

7. donneecox

donneecox Type 2 · Member

I’ve only got the monitoring system. I have just started checking my levels.
    I’ve never checked at bedtime, I will.
    Some days I also go the gym on a evening as well as a morning!

I love the thought of eating a small portion of cheese beforehand. I love cheese!
    Thanks for your comments and advice.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook