Consistently High Glucose Readings

Shellyc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there am having a bit of a panic attack at the mo. My blood sugars have been consistently high these last few weeks but today the reading was 18.8. I use the one touch model. The thing is I have a chronic skin condition and am in the middle of a really bad flare. Would I be right in saying inflammation cause blood sugars to rise. My diet hasn't changed during this time but I have been under a lot of pressure at work as well so I think this is all connected. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Awaiting hba1c results as well this week

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Stress and inflammatory illness can cause high blood sugars. Are you intending to see your doctor about your skin flare-up? Have you decided on how you will manage your diet? Most of us on this site do some variation of the low-carb diet and that will help you to control your blood glucose long-term. There is a lot of information on this on the main website pages, and many people here will be able to advise you. You are clearly going through a stressful time and although you do need to try to reduce the level of glucose, try not to worry too much. You will be able to get control once you have got through this bad time. I hope you have a supportive GP who can help you and that you feel better soon.

Shellyc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Stress and inflammatory illness can cause high blood sugars. Are you intending to see your doctor about your skin flare-up? Have you decided on how you will manage your diet? Most of us on this site do some variation of the low-carb diet and that will help you to control your blood glucose long-term. There is a lot of information on this on the main website pages, and many people here will be able to advise you. You are clearly going through a stressful time and although you do need to try to reduce the level of glucose, try not to worry too much. You will be able to get control once you have got through this bad time. I hope you have a supportive GP who can help you and that you feel better soon.
Yes am seeing my dermatologist today and hopefully they will be able to reduce the inflammation. Thanks for the info. My fasting bloods this morning were 18.9!

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yes am seeing my dermatologist today and hopefully they will be able to reduce the inflammation. Thanks for the info. My fasting bloods this morning were 18.9!

That does sound rather high. I was told to get in touch with my DN if mine rose above 18, so perhaps you should consider doing that?

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The skin flare up and the treatment can both push up the levels. I would see DN or gp too. You may need some medical support to help with the levels at least until the flare up has settled. Low carb is useful for many but with those sort of levels I would see your gp. Hope it starts to clear soon.

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not to panic.can't get mine down either! 16.6 this morning added extra fast acting by lunchtime it will be down to 5! Ha ha stress for me doesnt help either dont worry

Shellyc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not to panic.can't get mine down either! 16.6 this morning added extra fast acting by lunchtime it will be down to 5! Ha ha stress for me doesnt help either dont worry
Just got my hba1c bloods 89! Up from February. Can't bloody win

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my hba1c bloods 89! Up from February. Can't bloody win

Hi Shelly - It does sound like you're in the wars at the moment - one way or the other.

Your profile doesn't tell us much about you, or how you manage your diabetes on a day to day basis, and that would be very helpful, in terms of making constructive comments. You can update your details, from your account settings, using your browser. It's not possible via the app.

How long has your flare being going on for, because your A1c would suggest your numbers have been running rather rich for a while.