Constant Low with Freestyle Libre

MoonDrop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’ve been using the 14 day Freestyle Libre for a few months, and just today I’ve run into a serious issue. The current one I’ve been using has been on for eight days and working fine, but just this morning I woke up to it giving me the lowest reading possible. I didn’t feel any symptoms of low blood sugar, so I did a fingerstick which read 4.9. I thought maybe I just slept funny and that prevented it from reading correctly, but now it’s been an entire day and it hasn’t returned to normal numbers. Every fingerstick test I’ve done has read above 4.0, so it’s a problem with the sensor. Can anyone offer a solution to this? If I have to, I can replace it, but my insurance doesn’t cover the sensors, so I’d rather figure out how to fix it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I’ve been using the 14 day Freestyle Libre for a few months, and just today I’ve run into a serious issue. The current one I’ve been using has been on for eight days and working fine, but just this morning I woke up to it giving me the lowest reading possible. I didn’t feel any symptoms of low blood sugar, so I did a fingerstick which read 4.9. I thought maybe I just slept funny and that prevented it from reading correctly, but now it’s been an entire day and it hasn’t returned to normal numbers. Every fingerstick test I’ve done has read above 4.0, so it’s a problem with the sensor. Can anyone offer a solution to this? If I have to, I can replace it, but my insurance doesn’t cover the sensors, so I’d rather figure out how to fix it.

Hi @MoonDrop if you contact Abbott Customer Care they’ll likely replace the sensor for you. I’ve had a few that performed strangely and a quick phone call, answer a few questions and a replacement was organised. They may ask you to return the faulty one for analysis, so keep hold of it (they’ll send packaging and pay for you to return it).

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ii there... I have been using the libre with the miaomiao with xdrip and have found tha algorithm used in xdrip is more in tune with my blood shug readings. The libre on its own appears to be very conservative in the readings.. Ie if my bloods are between 6 and 7.5 readings are quite accurate but bellow 5 the libre readings can be 2mmol lower. I've had days where scanning the libre the readings were constantly 3.2 to 3.5 bloods were 4.8 to 5.1and xdrip showed 4.6 to 4.9....can be quit frustrating