Constant need to eat?

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi does anyone know how to suppress your appetite? Since being on insulin I tend to just want to eat. I don't know whether this is a side effect of insulin? I would really like to lose a bit of weight but am finding this difficult with the constant need to eat. Does anyone else experience this? And does anyone take anything for it?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on fixed doses of insulin or do your carb count? In other words, is it possible that you're feeding your insulin?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I would second @robert72 's question..
Are you having to deal with constant hypoglycemia episodes?

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wan't thinking necessarily about hypos, but I remember, back in the 90s, realising that I had got into a spiral of eating more and then raising my doses and then eating more and raising my doses :eek:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also concur. Chasing insulin can cause ravenous hunger. The trick is to get your insulin there at the same time as your food. It is quite tricky. I found I couldn't eat any carbs other than above ground veggies which allowed me to reduce insulin as well as prevent the roller coaster. As I was always going low then popping up. Obviously I had to feed the low, then I would pop up and have to correct. The roller coaster is hard to tame. So I ditched the carbs and found my meals and doses and it is much easier to control.

I need a very low carb high fat diet to maintain steady numbers and not fluctuate. But as always YMMV. It does sound like you might be feeding insulin

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to mention Abby, I found a half or third of an avocado, depending on size, with each meal really helps slow the blood sugar spikes and slow the insulin drops drops. It seems to bridge the gap. I don't go a meal without it anymore

Mahoney find the timing of their insulin to make a big difference too. I don't eat carbs but have read if they have a carby meal they bolus early, say 15-20 min or more. You'd have to test that for yourself