Constant overnight hypos - T1

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All.

I've been really struggling the past week or two with overnight hypos, particularly after exercise - no idea why this is suddenly an issue.

There may be relatively obvious solutions to many forum members but I'm so drained right now!

My libre shows a distinct drop at midnight and low readings until about 6am - my BS correlates with this. I have reduced some basal rates at 10pm and midnight by 0.5

Last night:

5.15pm - BS 4.8, dinner shortly after (stir fry and 100g pasta)
Dance rehearsals 7-8pm, could feel myself dropping (libre confirmed) so had a cereal bar during class. Had also reduced basal before, during and after the class.
8.30pm - BS 6.7, to hopefully avoid overnight lows I had some blueberries, yoghurt and walnuts.
9.30pm - BS 5.8.
By the time I went to bed, libre showed stable levels but I decided to reduce my basal my 10% for 8 hours to be sure.
See my libre reading below, confirmed by BS if 2.4 at 5.30am.
My DSN is on holiday at the mo. This is also affecting my sleep as I can't switch off from the fear/worrying and there's been nights where I've had 3 hypos.
Any advice welcomed :) Thank you
Off to work now where I pretend I'm perfectly fine!!!
2bb8a7febea526ef01bfe98d135e19de.jpg
48a28c40e843136c529acd957094ebe9.jpg

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm probably about 8.30pm. I used to snack later but previously found I woke up high - this was pre libre though.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reduce basal by more than 10% if that didn't work.

Are you bolusing for your dinner? You might want to reduce the pre exercise mealtime bolus. You might also want to think about a bigger basal reduction before and during the exercise.

Your post exercise snack of blueberries, yoghurt and walnuts doesn't seem that carby, you might want to consider something with more complex carbs that should keep you bumped up over a longer period - something like a rice cake and peanut butter, or oatcakes and cheese.

Reactions: MStreet89

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @catapillar. Will try that. It's just hard to know what's right. I don't really understand why all of a sudden I'm having to reduce by so much.

Yes bolusing for dinner. Would you just take a bit off the calculation?

The biggest issue was reducing my HbA1c but now it's this and my HbA1c.

Will try some alternate carbs but also trying to keep them to a minimum to avoid spikes.

Reactions: HStClare