Continual High Readings

lofc2909

Hi,

New to the forum so be gentle with me!

I've been diagnosed Type 2 for the last 5 years and have been taking metformin 1000 slow release twice daily and my readings have been fairly consistent throughout between 5.5 and 6.5 in the morning before breakfast.

Haven't been testing regularly for the last month as had run out of strips so ordered a new machine etc last week. First test following morning came back at 13.4 which is way over anything I've had. Hadn't had anything unusual to eat etc - went to my office, tested on a machine I found in a desk drawer - 6.6. Phew. Assumed the machine at home might be duff and bought more strips to go with the machine in the office.

However over the last week, my readings are consistently high - nothing below 12 at least 2 hours after eating and around 12 - 14 first thing in the morning. Goes up to 16 - 18 soon after eating but doesn't come down below 12 again. No changes to diet, no changes to medication that I can pin anything down to.

For background info, I'm 47, 5' 6" and 13 stone so a bit overweight but have lost more than 5 stone over the last 6 years, am relatively fit (exercise 3 x week plus extra walking). I had a double heart bypass 2 years ago due to a genetic issue caused by premature birth but feel healthier now than I did at 27!

Is it possible for Metformin to just stop working? I'll be monitoring for a few more days before contacting my GP but just can't pin down any reason for this sudden uplift in numbers.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Thanks - Mike