Type 1 continuous eye disturbance

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey, I'm 18 and wrote a similar post earlier, as helpful as everyone was I don't feel very reassured.
I have had extremely bad blood sugar levels since diagnosis when I was 5, I am 18 now!

recently, I've had the weirdest eye problems, for about two months I have been seeing in snowy vision, everything is fuzzy and pixelated constantly, the nurse has said she thinks this is because I have tightened my BG control in the last two months, my overall bloods have dropped significantly, my control has never been better!

my eye screening result showed small signs of diabetic maculopathy that will apparently heal themselves because of my change in control! I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how long it lasted? apparently it is common in pregnant women! this also caused me to have an anxiety attack and I was hospitalised because I've been constantly worrying I'm losing my sight, any help is appreciated :) thank u in advance.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I spent several years with high blood sugars before diagnosis. My vision was screwed up, blurry, I had spots etc. My brain had adjusted so hardcore to this that when my values came down, it felt like my sight had gotten worse. In reality my brain didn't know what to do with the sudden readjustment of my eyes. The longer I stayed within a good range, the more my brain re-adjusted. Now I've been 'recalibrated' and my vision goes bonkers when I go above 10mmol/L.

I would trust what the doctor has told you. They have a lot of experience with this and if the tests don't show anything that won't heal itself then you're golden. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I imagine your nurse is right, but at the same time take some comfort from what the eye screening have said about the maculopathy healing itself.

There's been a few discussions on the subject of Maculopathy lately, going to tag the member @novorapidboi26 as he has the condition and may offer-up some advice.

The following has some excellent information on the condition together with advice on keeping bg, bp and cholesterol levels under control as well as general lifestyle issues:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/diabetic_maculopathy.html

Try not to worry and be sure to attend all future eye screenings so that they can monitor your progress. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spent several years with high blood sugars before diagnosis. My vision was screwed up, blurry, I had spots etc. My brain had adjusted so hardcore to this that when my values came down, it felt like my sight had gotten worse. In reality my brain didn't know what to do with the sudden readjustment of my eyes. The longer I stayed within a good range, the more my brain re-adjusted. Now I've been 'recalibrated' and my vision goes bonkers when I go above 10mmol/L.

I would trust what the doctor has told you. They have a lot of experience with this and if the tests don't show anything that won't heal itself then you're golden. :)

I wouldn't disagree with you..
I was told similar by the consultant dealing with my macula oedema regarding the improved visuals..
When asked after followup scans "how do you feel your eyesight is going?"
Something was still nagging me visually with just the right eye..

The scans indicated the treatment was working, the eye exam with the chart reading suggested the same. (A masive change for the better.)
It's amazing how the body messages the brain as it adjusts to it's "new normality!"

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you for this, you're the first person who has confirmed this, so glad I'm not going crazy! My eyes have been deteriorating for about two months since I've brought my control down, some days they feel great and other times not so much! My next concern is muscle pain, I had my first day at work today and my feet and legs are killing me, did you experience this too with the blood control change? Thank you all for the replies guys I feel a little more reassured now :)