1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Contour Next One Meter

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by DobbieTheElf, Aug 22, 2017.

1. DobbieTheElf

DobbieTheElf Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone!
    I recently recieved my contour next one meter. It is very good and suits what I need very well. However, I was only diagnosed in early march and I am not sure if they will put the strips for the new meter on my prescription. What shall I say to them to convince them to let me use the meter?
    Thanks,
    Dobbie

2. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @DobbieTheElf ..........did your Gp//Consultant/Clinic give you a meter at diagnosis, if so then I would suspect they would prefer you to use what they have given you, even so there is no harm in asking , tell them you prefer your meter and with luck and the wind blowing in the right direction.......or you catch them on a good day........they will provide the strips for your meter, but don't be too disappointed if they say they want you to use theirs.......

3. JeremySE18

JeremySE18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

One other way to get a free pot is to tell the GP that you WANT to monitor your levels to see how different foods affect you. In all honesty my GP has been great and is very impressed that I can show him my levels on my phone going back ages.

4. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think as a type I the surgery is supposed to prescribe strips but as far as which monitor and strips I hear different things from different parts of the country. A bit of a lottery in fact. I'm assuming the NHS want everyone to use the same meter and test strips. Shame there are so many, it's difficult enough to choose in the first place.

Check the exact wording of the NICE guidelines which I hope all our doctors adhere to (?) and then ask. That way, you'll know what they're meant to do before you ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The costs difference between makes of strips to the NHS can be in many £ per month per person. It seems that each CCG gets a good deal from a few makes, and a clinical justification is needed to prescribe other strips. There is also an issue of what chemists keep in stock in each area.

I think some of the deals require that most prescriptions are for a given make in return for a very large discount.

6. germansheppard234

germansheppard234 Type 1 · Member

In north wales its no problem , i use contour next ,they even stock them in surgery but hosp try give u cheaper one which i refused

• Like Like x 1
  7. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I| think GPs get "free" meters to give out, as the money is made on the test strips.

8. badcat

badcat · Guest

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook