Contour next usb metre...

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, ive just recieved a next usb bg machine and im a little puzzled. In the manual it says that tgeight will stop flashing when fully charged, but when ive clicked on the menu button it says on screen charge complete, the lights still flashing so do I stop charging it or carry on. This is the first charge the machine has had.

Kelly =)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The light should go off when charged, I would leave it plugged in for a while longer (few hours) and check later on to see if its off. If you have not already done so remember to order your free mains charger, which you can do once you've registered the meter on the Bayer web site.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Hi there, I've just had the same machine, used it for 3 days and it's excellent in every way so far. You need to plug the cables into the machine and then your PC, try a different USB port and I'd guess it would be a good idea not to allow the PC to go into sleep mode during the charging. Stay with the PC is what I did, went on YouTube and just glanced at the meter every once and a while.

It takes about two hours to charge first time and then the machine gives one long flash and then stops flashing and the charge is complete. As a cross check, if you switch the meter on there is a green battery indicator, if that icon is fully filled in green you know the meter is charged and full. Subsequent charges should take less than the two hours they quote in the book. If you're still having issues it could be that your PC has too many devices drawing current (5 volts maximum), you charging something else like your phone or something? Your PC may not be able to cope with too many USB connected devices that draw a charge connected at one time.

Don't forget to log on to the Bayer website, register your machine (turn the meter over and the serial number is there on the white label) - you get a free wall charger which is much better and quicker. Let me know if you still have problems k.

My kind regards,

Q..

Q..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The USB meter should stop flashing once fully charged, leave it a bit longer and see if it stops, don't worry too much if it isn't fully charged as the meter will work fine regardless.

btw, the quickest way to charge the meter is by the USB port, it takes ages to charge using the wall charger.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Nah.. Wall charger the best it allows maximum current draw, PC's wobble with charging depending on the load they're under. Samsung say that phone batteries last longer if charged through mains charger, all my phones and iPods charge faster by mains. (raspberry noise)

Q..

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey thanks for the replies ill switch to theains and see if that changes, I habe registered my machine and got my mains lead in the box lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Q007 said:
Nah.. Wall charger the best it allows maximum current draw, PC's wobble with charging depending on the load they're under. Samsung say that phone batteries last longer if charged through mains charger, all my phones and iPods charge faster by mains. (raspberry noise)

Q..

Not with the USB, can leave it for 12-18 hours in the wall charger and it won't be charged, a couple of hours max and it's charged via the port.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I put it in the wall and the light went off lol so happy its charged, wont be useing it fully untill I have seen my gp on weds to sort my prescription out , how ling does one charge usually last for ? Thanks again all

Kelly =)

BobCornelius

Fully charged, mine lasts for weeks and weeks! Lovely bit of kit! I also charge it using the USB plug that came with my iPhone!

:)

Bob

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Doesn't need USB II, pc I use doesn't have USB 2 and it charged fine. Well at least our Kelly got it charged that's the main thing eh.

Big up,

Q

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
BobCornelius said:
I've been using the Contour USB for a while, but the next is superior in many ways, and I love it! Also works in Linux OS!

Hi Bob

Can you elaborate on what you have working on Linux. My meter arrived today and I couldn't figure out what to do. I could only see a .bat.

Dunno how interesting this will be to others so happy if you pm me.

Barry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
blueeyed81 said:
how ling does one charge usually last for ? Thanks again all

Surprisingly a long time, I only charge mine once every 4-5 months.

patrica64

BobCornelius said:
Fully charged, mine lasts for weeks and weeks! Lovely bit of kit! I also charge it using the USB plug that came with my iPhone!

BOB seem very young as you use the word "kit " seem to forget we are not all IT savvy and most of us are old school

I'm not into all this whizz kid stuff ona pc also my family all suffer diabetes elderly sisters and brother only myself can use just about pc.

majority of us are older and do not want to mess about with pcs. iphones usbs all to much !!! :crazy:

simple meters to take readings....