Contour Next

dickyD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I perhaps should start by saying I have been a type 2 diabetic for over 20 years (I am 83); initially controlling badly with metformin only, but about 6 months ago developed severe diarrhoea, so my GP stopped the metformin - and the diarrhoea! I now test 5 times a day and my diabetic nurse describes my control as excellent (HbA1c at 5.6). Three years ago my weight was 144kg; now it is 98kg - due to stopping drinking and monitoring calories. So I am no longer obese!

I have been using a Contour TS, and was kindly sent a Contour Next, which came with 10 free strips. I used 2 to get to understand it, and then 8 to compare with the Contour TS. The first 7 were fine - average Contour TS was 6.4; Contour Next 6.6; with a correlation of 0.97.
Each comparison was done from the same drop of blood.

However the last test was worrying. I was into a hypo. The Contour TS read 3.3 ; the Contour Next read 6.2. I repeated the Contour TS at 3/4 - another drop, of course, at 3.4. But I had no more strips to repeat the Contour Next.

I only sense oncoming hypos at 3.6 and below so I am quite certain the Contour Next was quite simply wrong, and dangerously wrong at that. This last result took the averages to 6.0 for the Contour TS and 6.6 for the Contour Next , with the correlation dropping to 0.87 - below the 0.9 often thought important.

Has anyone else found this?

DickyD