Contraceptives and high sugars

Shazzle80

Morning all (maybe one for the girls!)

I had surgery at the end of June and was advised to cease taking my contraceptive pill a month before which I did. It also took me two months for my cycle to resume meaning I've only just been able to restart taking my oral contraceptive. I've been back on it now for 5 days and my blood sugars are insanely high, I think I recall a similar experience when I first began taking them after my T1 diagnosis but am interested to see if you guys think that the reason is due to a hormone change (despite it only being a few months since I last took it)

Thanks in advance

Sharon :)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, the pill definitely has an impact on blood sugar and insulin requirements. One day of missed pill = not protected from getting pregnant, so 2 months off the pill will mean none of those hormones are in you and starting it again will be a totally new start for your body. I think my insulin requirement went up by about 50% when on the pill.

Shazzle80

Thank you. I remember last time for the first month i was a disaster zone and then it settled. It's been a weird few months for my sugars with op, period and then the pill. Just hoping to get back to normal soon. I'm very conscientious so high sugars really mither me xx