coping with a toddler when having a hypo

going mad

I've had type 1 diabetes for 24 years of my my 25 year life, I am on a pump and have a 2 year old boy, does anyone have any advice on dealing with an attention seeking toddler when having a hypo? I'm a single parent which can also make things a bit harder at times. Any help would be fab thanks :D

mark5745

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'd test as much as possible u know we can still drop really quickly but just keep testing even every couple of hours if need be good luck

Sent from the [url=http://www.diabetes.co.u

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi Going mad,

I'm in the same predicament (although not a lone parent)... my daughter is 23 months going on 14. I've found that always having a pack of dextrose or other fast-acting glucose right to hand is an essential requirement.

It's a good idea to explain your diabetes to your son - you'll be amazed by just how much he will understand... my daughter already understands that dextrose is "daddy's medicine". Very soon she'll be wanting to help me restore my levels when I'm going low... I suspect you son will want to do the same.

If you're not a pump user, it may be worth discussing this possibility with your healthcare team as this could help to stabilise your blood glucose levels as well as give you access to a larger supply of test strips, which are being restricted in many areas of the UK at the moment in a blind-alley, short-term, cost-cutting exercise.