Coronavirus and work

JRT

Hi! I'm type 2 and 58 years old. I work part time in a private care home with adults who are older and have health issues/dementia. I'm feeling increasingly anxious about going to work. My shift pattern is such that I'm off until next weekend.After an incident earlier this week when my manager lied about an agency staff member having the virus I have little faith in them. I go to work by taxi and am OCD now about hygiene etc. I cant help but worry that I'm walking into a potential minefield.I enjoy my job but do have a small amount of savings I could live off.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi! I'm type 2 and 58 years old. I work part time in a private care home with adults who are older and have health issues/dementia. I'm feeling increasingly anxious about going to work. My shift pattern is such that I'm off until next weekend.After an incident earlier this week when my manager lied about an agency staff member having the virus I have little faith in them. I go to work by taxi and am OCD now about hygiene etc. I cant help but worry that I'm walking into a potential minefield.I enjoy my job but do have a small amount of savings I could live off.

Hi, what do mean 'lied'. Are you saying that a staff member had the virus and the home covered it up?

JRT

I'm still not sure what to make of it. The day before I was due into work there was a small piece in online paper saying home was closed to visitors. It stated there was no confirmed case of coronavirus but then also added they didnt want to risk any spread! Immediately phoned manager who insisted that it was safe to go in and they were being cautious as a member of the company had been in contact with someone who had virus.its a medium company owning 5 homes. Extra hand washing facilities in place for all staff on arrival etc. Near end of shift a colleague was told by a nurse that an agency member of staff who was suspected of having virus had been in the home,who then added that she shouldnt have said that.
A deep clean was being done the following night. That in itself seemed a bit late! Either the risk was viewed as low or they were being very slack. To be fair hygiene is normally very good there and outbreaks of illness such as d&v extremely rare.
So lots of rumours and I am quite cynical. I'm concerned about working at moment as dont drive and get a taxi,which better than bus but still a concern. As you can imagine there is a large and diverse staff group,lots of contacts. Part of me wants to just not go in,a big part. Also wary that we are not even near worst of this pandemic yet. Logically it may be safe,but I'm not feeling very logical! Feel we are in a period of limbo,if vulnerable groups were told to self isolate it would all feel clearer!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My wife is a nurse in a care home and she feels the same way as you do right now.

My experience of being with her for almost 20 years, is that every cold, stomach bug and other illness going the rounds will eventually reach the home, it's residents and staff. Then she brings it home and I catch it!

Of course none of this is as serious as what we are all facing now. I don't think there's much you can do except take exceptional care with hygiene in the workplace. And when all is said and done, staying at home may reduce the risk but it will not guarantee that you remain free of illness.

Probably not much help to you right now I guess.

JRT

Hi ,thankyou. I think the problem at the moment is that we are in a unique situation where there are no answers and just have to hope for best! On the positive side it's probably better emotionally to be at work ,although I'm quite happy at home. Listening to social care minister describe plans to support care homes and social care in general doesnt give me an overwhelming sense of optimism for the wellbeing of our residents either,or those receiving care in the community. Still I will continue to wash hands etc and keep my fingers crossed!

Reactions: urbanracer