Coronavirus and work

Rachel@49

I work as a medical secretary within the NHS. I have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years. I also have diabetes related kidney disease and retinopathy. I also have an under active thyroid (was over active but had 3 doses of radioactive iodine) and miles asthma. I have taken on board all Coronavirus advice but I am still in work. I know as diabetics we are in a vulnerable group but does that mean we should not be in work at this time ?
Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated x

many thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I work as a medical secretary within the NHS. I have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years. I also have diabetes related kidney disease and retinopathy. I also have an under active thyroid (was over active but had 3 doses of radioactive iodine) and miles asthma. I have taken on board all Coronavirus advice but I am still in work. I know as diabetics we are in a vulnerable group but does that mean we should not be in work at this time ?
Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated x

many thanks

Well done for keeping going. Having diabetes does not in itself make us vulnerable in the eyes of policy makers and we should keep working unless it's possible to work from home.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/mar/update-for-those-vulnerable-to-coronavirus.html

Your secondary health conditions of kidney disease and asthma complicate the issue although still not enough apparently, to recommend isolation.

By now, you should have been contacted by your GP if isolation was desirable so i think it would have to be your own decision.

Your manager should allow you to maintain "stringent" social distancing.