Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
Hi all
I'm slightly confused. Are we at risk? Type 1 here and so confused
Any advice appreciated
Thank you

Hi, All I can tell you, from my personal experience, because I, my husband and my Type 1 son have had it, is that we're all at risk. We're getting over it and it was the "Mild" version, in that none of us was hospitalised. But we were all very ill, and although we shared some of the same symptoms, each of us had some very different symptoms. As well as the better known ones, we lost taste and smell and I had terrible nerve pain. My son had stomach cramps/ upset and nausea and he was super-tired all the time.

My Type 1 son (19) has had real issues with blood sugar highs while he's been ill with Covid. He is normally perfectly controlled, keeping blood sugar within a normal range for a good percentage of the time. During the first week, we were seeing numbers like 18, despite upping Lantus by 1 every night and increasing humalog. After a week of progressively increasing the basal more and more, it is starting to come back under control, but has taken shedloads of additional insulin to achieve it. I guess he will revert back to less when he's totally well. It's been two weeks of illness for all of us so far.

My husband has asthma, but he was less ill than my son. I think Type 1 does seem to cause issues in conjunction with this virus. It was so clearly obvious in the blood sugar hikes.

Take care of yourself. I hope you don't get it. If you do, rest, fluids and paracetamol and you might find you need more insulin too.