Correction before bed

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just tested pre basal and it's 18. Been struggling with it all day really but also just tested for keytones and that's negative.

My question is, I was told to be a minimum of 8 before bed. I fear, as I've discovered before, if I give the right correction dose it's often hypo on waking. Any suggestions what does to try. Im on 1 to 3. TIA

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you mean 1 unit reduces levels by 3 pints? Do you have any insulin on board right now? If so what time did you take it and how much?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

When did you last eat? Do you still have bolus (fast acting) on board from an evening meal?

Edit, Snap @Diakat .

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Pints? I have 1 unit to reduce 3 mmols. Is that right. Im on mdi. I took 8units at 6pm for my meal as I was 11.2. 2hrs later I was 12.3 and now 18. I washed my hands and tried 3 different fingers with the same result.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pints? I have 1 unit to reduce 3 mmols. Is that right. Im on mdi. I took 8units at 6pm for my meal as I was 11.2. 2hrs later I was 12.3 and now 18. I washed my hands and tried 3 different fingers with the same result.

One unit to 3Mmol sounds right. What basal are you using? (This may help understand a little why you have been struggling all day with BG.)

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One unit to 3Mmol sounds right. What basal are you using? (This may help understand a little why thou have been struggling all day with BG.)
Im on Lantus. It's been lowered to 8 units because I was having too many hypos (back in Dec). They also raised me to 1 to 3 from 1 to 2. DSN knew I would run high, and I have been in 8s and 9s, while we sort the basal out.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on Lantus. It's been lowered to 8 units because I was having too many hypos (back in Dec). They also raised me to 1 to 3 from 1 to 2. DSN knew I would run high, and I have been in 8s and 9s, while we sort the basal out.

Hi again, I'm on Lantus.
I was kind of hoping you'd say that? Are you over halfway to two thirds down the cartridge in the pen?

If so? Change the cartridge to a new one if you haven't already given your basal dose.. This stuff can lose its potency.. In my experience.
Which may partly explain your BG struggle today.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi again, I'm on Lantus.
I was kind of hoping you'd say that? Are you over halfway to two thirds down the cartridge in the pen?

If so? Change the cartridge to a new one if you haven't already given your basal dose.. This stuff can lose its potency.. In my experience.
Which may partly explain your BG struggle today.
Yes it is just over half way! I'll get a new pen out for tomorrow. Thanks foe the heads up. I guess only having 8 units its taking a while to use. Im think I'm just going to take 2 units of Novorapid to bring the 18 down a tad.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it is just over half way! I'll get a new pen out for tomorrow. Thanks foe the heads up. I guess only having 8 units its taking a while to use. Im think I'm just going to take 2 units of Novorapid to bring the 18 down a tad.

Not all cartridges seem to act like this. But there has been a correlation. I have to be carful regarding your individual correction dosage advice. (Especially as you will be sleeping on the dose.) But hopefully your decision of 2 units to nip it up should help.

Do you split your basal, or just dose for the evening?

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not all cartridges seem to act like this. But there has been a correlation. I have to be carful regarding your individual correction dosage advice. (Especially as you will be sleeping on the dose.) But hopefully your decision of 2 units to nip it up should help.

Do you split your basal, or just dose for the evening?
Just 1 dose for the evening. I decided 2 units would nip it as you say, rather than a full correction. I'll be up at 5.30am so not a long sleep as a rule. Im going to bed now, but thank you for your time and thoughts, I appreciate it.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just 1 dose for the evening. I decided 2 units would nip it as you say, rather than a full correction. I'll be up at 5.30am so not a long sleep as a rule. Im going to bed now, but thank you for your time and thoughts, I appreciate it.
And I am aware whatever I decided, it's my decision. I like to take advise and consider it's reaction for me. Im not yet 2 years diagnosed.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

No problem.

I'm up at 4.30am myself. & Single dose, but slightly higher..

Sleep well.

Reactions: 4mum_