Correction dose before bedtime?

JeromeFel47

Hi all,

My blood sugar is at 16 before bed and am not sure whether I should be taking a correction dose or not (maybe 1 unit even)?
If you could help, thank you

I am on 18 Units of Lantus in the mornings and Novorapid before meals.

Reactions: Struma

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JeromeFel47 ,
I'm sorry, but no-one on here can advise you on dosing, that's between you and your doctor.

We could tell you what we would do, but the same thing which lowers my blood sugar by 3 mmol might send you into a hypo.

Can you call your diabetes nurse on monday to ask about correction doses?

Wish you all the best!

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Is this a regular thing or just now?

Apologise for the many questions but it would help to get a better rounded picture. Is there any more info you can give (possible current illness, length since diagnosis, possibility of honeymoon period, exercise today, any schemes following like daphne or carbohydrate counting or fixed doses, time since eve meal and what eaten and when injected incase your novorapid is still active from that). Novorapid can be active for 4hr+ so corrections should usually be avoided if you're within that time period after eating.

Have you tested for ketones? If ketones then keep up fluids. Have you sick day rules?

In the short term one night with higher blood glucose values is fine. You will obviously be better off contacting your diabetes team if this is happening more often. We can't give medical advice on here but can hopefully help stop any worry or concern. Again sorry for the many questions it just might help others with suggestions for example of what to ask your diabetes team. Hope you're well otherwise!

Reactions: EllieM