Correction Dose Question

James_Donnelly

Question. A few hours ago at 9pm, I measured my blood and I was 10. This is way over my usual number, I guess I didn't take enough insulin with dinner. Anyway. I took 2u of novorapid as correction. I'm not sure exactly what my ratio is so took 2 to see what would happen. Anyway, my question is when will that correction dose level out? I don't really want to go to sleep if it isn't done doing so in case I hypo. I took the 2u at 9:05pm, I probably should have took 1u to be safer but oh well, and it is 11:20pm now and I just measured my blood and it is 5.9. When will it stop dropping? Should I eat a small snack before going to sleep just to be safe?

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest it depends most times, but its stated to work upto 3 hours and stay in your system 5 but after 3 hours it's weak and doesn't have much effect.

My sugar is 14.3 and ive just taken 6 units of correction, as for me personally it takes more the higher I go in my dosing. If I was 10, I usually take 2 as well. Do not copy my dosing please it's dangerous just there. Point is im going to sleep now while rapid is working but have my alarm set for 1 hour and 2 hour respectively to check. You could do the same, sleep, check in 1 hour, if its still 5.9 or thereabouts, you should be ok.

Also of course you could eay a 10g snack if it makes it easier for you. Although it's only 12 minutes away and its been 3 hours already so check at 12 :)

This is if novorapid it similar has been used :)

Reactions: kitedoc

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually, 1 unit of bouls should drop you by 3 mmol/l points. I think you will drop till 4.0 to 4.5 range but since it is already 5.9 after 2 hours, most of it should be gone now so the remaining effect is not a big deal. How about basal? That can drop you too if you use Lantus etc. If you are on pump I think you should be able to manage your basal accordingly.

James_Donnelly

Usually, 1 unit of bouls should drop you by 3 mmol/l points. I think you will drop till 4.0 to 4.5 range but since it is already 5.9 after 2 hours, most of it should be gone now so the remaining effect is not a big deal. How about basal? That can drop you too if you use Lantus etc. If you are on pump I think you should be able to manage your basal accordingly.
I'm on Abasaglar as my basel. Took 12u at about 11pm.

I just measured again and am 5.1 almost 3 hours to the dot later.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @James_Donnelly, Just form my experience as a T1D, not as professional advice or opinion:
Ideally the thing to have done is to have discussed correction doses with your DSN or doctor. Similarly formulating a plan for sick days etc is also considered wise. Really this what diabetes education is about and is something your health team needs to do and not have you confronted by the situation unprepared.
The fact that you have sought help and been sensible about things is a great credit to you.
Each of us is different in the way we respond to insulin. As @Dixon1995 says the usual 'profile' or action and duration of Novorapid insulin, according to drug company info, reads that it peaks about 2 to2 1/2 hours after injection and lasts 5 or a bit longer, but these are likely to be averages and you and your health team need to work out what your individual response is.
Also the BSL measured at 9 pm is how long after your meal? A BSL at say one hour after a meal is not something we are educated to rely on as the guidelines refer to the after meal BSL as being at measured at > 90 minutes and more usually at 2 hours.
You allowed 2 hours after the correction dose to measure your BSL again. That may be satisfactory if your response to Novorapid is typical but again that sounds like a reasonable guess until you have more information about your individual response to Novorapid.
You are right to be vigilant about possible hypos after a correction dose given in the evening and as @Dixon1995 does, an alarm to remind you to repeat the BSL testing later is a wise precaution that many of us T1Ds take.
Keep up the great work and please keep posting. We all learn from experience (although some of us like me are slow learners at times, or perhaps the word is 'stubborn')!!:):):)

Reactions: karen8967

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Usually, 1 unit of bouls should drop you by 3 mmol/l points
Please don't make statements like this as they are generally not true. Clinics use 1u:3mmol/l as a starting ratio and adjust from there, but very few people, when they test it, have a ratio of 1u:3mmol/l.

Reactions: Emily95

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please don't make statements like this as they are generally not true. Clinics use 1u:3mmol/l as a starting ratio and adjust from there, but very few people, when they test it, have a ratio of 1u:3mmol/l.
That's what i meant I didn't mean it as in it is a fixed ratio

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i've found Novorapid to reach its peak after 2 hours by which time ~50% of the does is used, the rest 50% usually lowers my levels for the next 2-3 hours.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test after 2 hours ... if i had 4u 2 hours previous and my bs is 12 theres roughly 2 u left on board . I work on a 3ml drop -1u soooooo in the next 2 hrs (ish ) i should be 6 ( ish ).
If eg, after 2 hours im 16 ..id prob bang 2u in to top me up ... might need a 0.5g carb around the 3- 4 hr mark ...maybe not just keep testing away fun times. ( this is where low carbing is advantageous ) .i only bolus for evening meal , i never eat after 6.30 pm, well not more than 10 g carb if i need before bed so the guestamation and uncertanty of the day is virtually a thing of the past ( laughing )!

Reactions: kitedoc