Correction dose

Nooch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all need some help, as of Monday I've been put on basal-boulas regime 8 unit of lantus an3 unit of nova rapid with each meal have not been told what correction dose I need to if goes over a certain bg level

Reactions: everway9

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hi Nooch1.

As everyone's sensitivity to Insulin is different. I dont think anyone of us would be able to advise on what a correct correction dose for you would be. At least not without obtaining further information and/or a history of your levels before and after food/insulin.

After experimenting with my sensitivity to Insulin and recording my levels for at least a week I know that 1 unit of NovaRapid reduces my glucose level by 3.0 mmol/L.

Others may or may not correct me but I do not think that a set dose of bolus insulin with meals is the correct way to dose. For example if you have a meal which has 45g carbs total and we say each 15g of carbs requires 1u insulin then 3u with that meal would be the correct dose. However if your meal equates to a total of 75g carbs then 3u would not be enough but 5u would be.

I know that does not help with working out how many units you would need for a correction dose but if you can carb count and match insulin dose with the meal then you would probably not have a need for a correction dose.

But as I previously said... after at least 1 week of recording all my carbs, glucose levels and insulin doses it provided me with enough information to work out that for me, generally... 1u of bolus insulin (novarapid) reduces my glucose level by about 3.0mmol/L.

I'm sorry if I have confused you. I'm not very good at explaining things by typing alone.

I'm sure there will be others who can explain much better than I can.

Best wishes. :)

Reactions: azure and Struma

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
To add... also bear in mind that some carbs burn a lot slower than others and will therefore affect your levels differently. Sorry.. I'm sure you know that anyway. I just noticed that you have posted 37 messages and your obviously not new to this. :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @everway9 - we're all different so we couldn't really advise you on it. For example 3 units of bolus insulin with meals for me would do nothing to lower my sugar levels. And 8 units of lantus for me would just keep me high all day. I need a lot more insulin. I'm still trying to figure out my insulin to carb ratio as like you I also was just told to take a set amount of bolus per meal... but as @everway9 mentioned that doesn't really work too well as carbs in meals can vary. I try to stick to no more than 30g of carb per meal mostly. But I've found that my body reacts differently to different types of carbs too. Eg. I need more insulin for some and less for others. Also be careful about giving yourself correction doses because in the past I've done it thinking ok this 4 units will help and my sugar level was high because of something else other than food... the next thing I know I'm having a hypo. Whereas I can give myself 4 units to correct another day and still be too high.... others days it works perfectly fine. As you can see it's tricky. I've been on insulin now over 6 years and I still am figuring it out and I am sure my insulin needs keep changing because of fluctuating pain levels, and other things besides food. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: everway9

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Also be careful about giving yourself correction doses because in the past I've done it thinking ok this 4 units will help and my sugar level was high because of something else other than food... the next thing I know I'm having a hypo.

Yeah. Sometimes you need to 'counter' a 'counter attack'....... iykwim. :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Nooch1
as you are on set doses -- it would be unwise for any of us to try and provide correction doses.

you should discuss this with your care team.

as you are now on basal / bolus you could ask about attending a carb counting course which would give you the insight you are trying to acquire.

all the best !!

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hi there @Nooch1
as you are on set doses -- it would be unwise for any of us to try and provide correction doses.

you should discuss this with your care team.

as you are now on basal / bolus you could ask about attending a carb counting course which would give you the insight you are trying to acquire.

all the best !!

Excellent info. :)

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Having to see DN every two wks to keep eye on my suger
the good thing is that you are being seen regularly -- next time you see your DSN -- ask about a carb counting course -- doing this course will let you start adjusting your doses to meet your carb intake ( don't panic -- not difficult -- but new knowledge to assist in your control )
:)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are you using a Blood Glucose Monitor and keeping a record of your levels and what you have eaten and when you have eaten it?

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to this but it is very helpful to me and my DSN. Also very interesting... For me anyway. I'm a little bit obsessed with anything medical and involving the human body. If you hadn't already noticed :D

After a couple of months monitoring all my levels, medication, exercise, physical and mental feeling/states I'm starting to get a good indication of the patterns my body and mind take.

LOL... I also have depression and severe mood swings so please accept my apologies as sometimes when I'm on a hyper I end up chatting to everyone, type lots of rubbish, then the next thing I'll appear to be completely ignoring everyone. :wacky:

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
After a couple of months monitoring all my levels, medication, exercise, physical and mental feeling/states I'm starting to get a good indication of the patterns my body and mind take.

If only I started this 30 years ago. :D

Nooch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No worrie but thanks for all ur advice will talke it all on board have asked about carb counting course but they said I've got so much going on that it would not be adviceable to do a course just yet as have other health issues

Reactions: everway9 and Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No worrie but thanks for all ur advice will talke it all on board have asked about carb counting course but they said I've got so much going on that it would not be adviceable to do a course just yet as have other health issues

You can always do an online course to help. I have had to do that myself as where I live they won't allow me to attend a course to teach me insulin to carb ratio, etc... they only allow type 1's to do so. Don't ask me why... all I can think of is they make the assumption only type 1's use insulin when that isn't true. But this course is good and it's free: http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/admLogin.asp

Reactions: everway9 and himtoo

Nooch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok I'll try it tommorow hopefully I'll get a head start again the docs

Reactions: Mep

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Although there is a lot of rubbish and incorrect information, facts and figures on the WWW, there's a lot to be said for learning yourself from good research. I completely understand that not everyone has the time to look or even want to take other peoples advice and suggestions in to consideration but if you do have the time and want to, the correct info is out there. Google is excellent... so long as you read the right things from the right people. I never go of one article but rather read several. And even then... if I'm not completely sure I go to my HCP.

There's a lot to be said about joining a forum and you have joined... in my opinion.... one of... if not, 'the best' diabetes forum that there is. I'm not speaking for myself (you can make up your own mind about that :) ) but I know that the majority here are good, friendly, caring and sensible people and there's some excellent info available.

I hope you manage to get everything leveled out and comfortable soon.

Best wishes. :)

BTW. There are a number of really good books which will help you carb count for sale but all I did was ask my DSN and I got a huge book for free. They normally have loads of them stashed away in a back room with lots of other things which you may be able to get for free. :D

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You can always do an online course to help. I have had to do that myself as where I live they won't allow me to attend a course to teach me insulin to carb ratio, etc... they only allow type 1's to do so. Don't ask me why... all I can think of is they make the assumption only type 1's use insulin when that isn't true. But this course is good and it's free: http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/admLogin.asp

There you go.... Online. :)