Correction Factor

azizdhl

hi guys

I am trying and learning this week on novoraprid and lanus
my lantus dose for the last week was 15u but I faced my dabgerous hypo, so I make it only 13 units
So, the thing is that I figure out all my carbs to insulin ratio very good at the previous lantus dose (15),

# so should I test again to change my ratio again or Lantus dose doesn't have anything on carb ratio?
# I found that every period of time has diff carbs ratio ( breakfast 7.8g, lunch 12.5, dinner 17) is that ok or must be one ratio for all meals?
# about the correction factor, does it have the same number for all day periods or it changes like carbs ratio?
# injecting 1 unit of novorapid would have the same speed and effect compare to 7 unit, I mean does it matter if the injection is small or big?

thanks guys I would be very glad and thankful if you answer each point with explanation

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @azizdhl

If you have a hypo you need to establish why it happened, it's not necessarily the right solution to reduce your basal without knowing this. Have you done any basal fasting tests to check your background insulin dose is right ?

I have different carb/insulin ratios throughout the day, this is normal, our needs do change based on many factors like exercise, stress.

Correction ratios don't change as a general rule, however the higher your bg levels go the more insulin resistance you'll get so you need to increase your bolus, this can be different for everyone.

Generally it doesn't matter what size bolus you take in regards to speed and effect, however depending on what you eat the results can be different, example is eating more fat as this slows carb absorption and can mean you go higher after 3-4 hours.

Get a copy of 'think like a pancreas' this book is highly useful for understanding more about managing insulin in type 1.