Could I be?

tbuk

Apologies in advance for stupid questions but would appreciate some advice...

Firstly I know I need to see a Dr for a correct diagnosis, unfortunately I work abroad and time off is few and far between but I've got an appointment for next week so hopefully will know for sure then...

Recently have been feeling thirsty all the time, very tired and increasingly have been getting pins and needles in my arms and legs (in fact resting on the desk to type this has is giving me them) also pains in my legs and feet and occasional blurred visions - a good selection of text book symptoms.

As I was unable to get to see the Dr, I bought a home test kit, one of the strips that changes colour with a drop of blood, I struggled to read the results but the figure appear to be showing 6-7 which is potentially borderline... Not convinced I got an Accu-chek compact plus meter from the chemist and tested again (both were after not eating for 12 hours) and this showed 5.0 on the dot which puts me in the clear.

What I was wondering is whether these tests can be relied on, and again I know only a proper test at the doctors can say for sure. I'm generally not the kind of person who tries to find things wrong, and I rarely visit the doctors but don't want to feel an idiot turning up at the doctors next week to be told there's absolutely nothing wrong with me...

Any pearls of wisdom? BTW My family has a history of type 2 diabetes, which probably increases my chances and I freely admit I'm carrying a little excess weight :wink:

caitycakes

Hello tbuk,

Firstly I am absolutely no expert, but I am sure I have read that post prandial readings (after eating) are the ones that seem to go to pot first before fasting ones. As i said I am no expert but you could try testing 1 - 2 hrs after eating and see what kind of reading you get. I'm sure someone on here with more knowledge than I have will answer your post with the advice you need.

regards caitycakes x

999sugarbabe

Hi tbuk,
I'm newly diagnosed myself and wouldn't claim to be expert in matters diabetic. The symptoms you describe suggest diabetes is a possibility. See you GP as soon as convenient and I suspect he will arrange for you to have a glucose tolerance test at the hospital. This involves overnight fasting, a blood test, drinking a sweet concoction and waiting 2 hours before giving a second blood specimen. Not too traumatic.
Good luck :)

tbuk

Thank you both for your replies, just got to play the waiting game now I guess... It's a strange thing, hoping that there's nothing wrong, but in another way hoping there is to explain the symptoms...

I'll keep you posted :wink:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi tbuk,
As sugarbabe said, your symptoms are typical of diabetes, but also of other things. The result of your fasting test with a monitor would seem to indicate that you are not diabetic, but the only way to be sure is for your doctor to do an HBA1C test - this measures your average blood sugar over the last 90 days. You may also get a glucose tolerance test - I believe not available in some parts of Europe. Will you be seeing a doctor in the UK or abroad?

jopar

Symptons could suggest,

Best time to test is a fasting one in the morning.... Aslo test before a meal then 2 hours after in general your sugars should have peaked at this point...

When you go to the doctors, you can take a urine sample (fasting first one of the morning in a clean container) the doctor can dip test this to see if a sugar is being passed, also to see if you have any underlaying urine infection as this can give similar effect as what you discribe...

But with saying the above I'm no medical expert so doctors it must be..

tbuk

Ok, quick update. Went to the doctors today was tested on their meter and it showed 8.4 which is apparantly borderline, took proper blood test too so await the results of that...

jopar

It seems that you might be T2, or have a predispositon towards diabetes T2...

The proper blood test as you call will more than likley be a HbA1c test to see what your avdverage HbA1c has been over the last 3 months this will give a clearer indication to where you stand... As illness in a non-diabetic can raise the levels while they are fighting that illness, and then return to normal... The HbA1c should show whether this has happened in your case...

Aslo ifit show that you are infact a diabetic it will help to determin what treatment you may require... Could be with this result that they will try you on a diet and exercise rather than meds.. The doctor will let you know whats what..

Trinkwasser

tbuk said:
Ok, quick update. Went to the doctors today was tested on their meter and it showed 8.4 which is apparantly borderline, took proper blood test too so await the results of that...

Even if you turn out to be "not diabetic yet" it would do no harm at all to act as if you were. The earlier you start to turn back the tide the more likely you are to succeed.