Type 1 Could I Have Coeliac Disease

Della82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for 8 years. For the last 3 weeks I have been following a low carb diet to try & improve my bg control. I am on a pump & I'm using the libre. The libre is amazing, it has given me so much insight into my glucose readings & helped me make the decision to try a low carb diet. I am not 100% strict with this diet... once a week perhaps, I will have a meal with a pitta bread or a little pasta or possibly have a dessert. The issue I'm having is after these "cheat" meals, I'm am quite unwell. This may, of course be an increased sensitivity to wheat because I've pretty much eliminated it from my diet or is it something more sinister. My partner thinks I'm overeacting but I think I may have developed Coeliac Disease.
My bg is initially okay... I set a multiwave/extended bolus, go to bed on a good reading & through the night my glucose levels go high & remain high until I realise & give myself a correction dose (my basal is correct). As well as these unusual readings I experience extreme abdomen & stomach cramps, it almost feels like a "Chinese burn" on my insides. I feel incredibly sick but I don't actually vomit & the worst is the diarrhoea... without going into too much detail, it's very bad.
I've also started with dermatitis on my hands (I put this down to the cold weather) & my upper chest & neck (something I've never experienced before).
I'm not asking for a diagnosis, I have a HbA1c coming up & I will ask for a Coeliac test but I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts or experiences on this.
Gastroparesis has also crossed my mind :(

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well maybe... I guess there is a number of different symptoms when having Coeliac-disease .. and maybe a person would not have them all.. but there is a lot of other condition it might be , many for instance are overreacting to this food addictive : mononsodiumglutamat that some food producers put in almost all their foods to enhance the taste of the specific food..
but diarrhoea is certainly a very specific symptom of intolerance or allergy..

https://www.healthline.com/health/celiac-disease-sprue

https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/msg#symptoms

Last edited:
Reactions: Della82

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Della82 - Type 1 diabetes and coeliac are one of the more common multiple autoimmune disease combinations. Having one autoimmune condition already puts you at higher risk of getting another.

Google "dermatitis herpetiformis" - it's a very common skin condition that tends to occur in coeliac patients. Try comparing pictures of the condition with your own lesions.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Della82 if you are going to get tested for coeliacs you really shouldn't give up wheat prior to the test because that will make the test pretty useless. Coeliac uk say it's important to continue eating gluten until you have had blood test and gut biopsy and you should eat some gluten in more than one meal everyday for at least 6 weeks before the tests.