Could this be LADA?

ZoeinKent

Hi all,

I know this forum isn't for diagnosing, but would value a few opinions...

Basically, I'm wondering if I might be in the early stages of LADA.

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in October 2020, and was easily able to control it with diet and exercise. But after returning to a normal diet, my HbA1c at three months post-birth came back as 41, so just below prediabetic (in the UK). I started eating low-carb and running three times a week, and got it down to 31 three months later.

However, I'm slim and was losing an unhealthy amount of weight, so then added in a few extra carbs (mainly Ryvitas). This halted the weight loss, but my HbA1c in September was 37.

I decided to go low-carb again (barring a handful of experiments with potato, which weirdly I tolerated at first but soon couldn't). I've just had another HbA1c in January, and it's back up to 41! Admittedly I'd eased off a bit on the running, but was still doing some. Low-carb meals I used to be fine with are now giving me higher readings that are taking longer to come down (eg tonight - cod, broccoli, celeriac and sprouts).

Alongside this, I've been diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism, with thyroid peroxidase antibodies. I know autoimmune conditions love company, hence suspecting LADA.

I mentioned this to my GP and she poo-pooed the idea (to quote - "I'm not going to continue with this conversation"!). But it seems to me something's amiss. Would value your thoughts, wise forum members! Thank you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My alarm bells are not specially going to LADA any more than they are for type2 (which statistically is the more likely especially after GD). You do seem more sensitive to carbs than a non diabetic might be at the moment. LADA would often to struggle to lower their hba1c by diet and exercise and even some medications (eventually) whereas you don’t - as yet. Adding more carbs is likely why the hba1c went up. For those choosing to eat low carb and want to halt weight loss or even gain the answer lies in more protein and healthy unprocessed fats, not carbs.

Ultimately it’s anti Gad and c petptide tests that usually resolve the question of if someone is type 1/2/LADA but sometimes not even then categorically, particularly early in a LADA progression or if antibodies are negative (possible with all 3 types) though positive antibodies do confirm type 1/LADA. Do you have an endocrinologist due to the thyroid or just the GP? I’m impressed they did they did antibody tests when subclinical at GP level even if her bedside manner requires work.

How are your meter readings looking ? Can you identify when/what is causing higher levels?