Council charging for sharpe bins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i have just read about the lady in Margate being charged £214 a year to have her council collect her sharpe bin which has always been free. Surely if the council won’t collect it should be your local doctors or NHS Hospital to get rid of because all this is going to do is have people start throwing there unused sharps in household waste and last thing a bin man needs to find is a needle stuck in his finger. If it does come to councils charging then the NHS is going to have to be the ones to get rid off. We all hate using needles but we have to and last thing any of us want is someone getting hurt from used needles.

Reactions: phdiabetic

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Irony being drug addicts can just take theirs to a chemist!

Louise22608

Louise in Epsom & Ewell
My local authority decided to charge for collection of sharps bins a couple of years ago and I concur with the feeling that none of us asked to have to inject 5-7 times a day, but we make the best of it. My authority said that they will make one collection per year free of charge, great if you have plenty of space to house a hospital sized sharps bin and don't mind every visitor to your home being privy to something that is very private, but also what about children who visit - not all children cope with the knowledge that a close relative has to inject insulin many times a day to stay alive terribly well. Our GP and Local chemist will not take the small bins either so, shall I put my used needles in the rubbish bin with impunity? We could take the view that if the community is disinterested in our difficulties, why should we be concerned about the community? Fortunately for the authorities, most diabetics are generally very caring individuals in my experience and don't dispose of needles in general waste, no matter how great the temptation. Sorry, enough of a rant from me, something I feel extremely strongly about as you can guess ............................

Tricia19752

Hi I have been with my partner now for two years he has diabetes and uses the needles since knowing him I did not know what he did with his needles he has had this condition for years and I only found out with the recent post about disposing the needles he has been putting them in the bin when the box was full wrapped up I have no idea that they had to be specific picked up now I'm so worried as the though of these things in a land fill is scary not alone for the bin collectors can anyone tell me what can you do I stay in Glasgow and would like to know for the future as what to do .I would definitely now get him to change what he does with these things I would have thought it was automatically done at the doctors or chemist .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Irony being drug addicts can just take theirs to a chemist!

I worked in a pharmacy and we had a special box for used needles and it was disposed of safety ( collected), without cost to the pharmacy or to needle 'customer' !