Counting coffee....

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Stop them and have expresso instead

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
They are full of milk which means lactose which is sugar which is bad bad bad - I was on three venti lattes a day until last year - they were killing me

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

H

Hooked

nomistheman said:
This is probably a stupid thought ...

... I wonder if there is a formula for calculating based on your pre and post prandial test?

@Hooked

I'm presuming you're injecting insulin here so forgive me if you're not - You could work itteratively ...

• step 1 - test Blood Glucose
    step 2 - Inject Insulin amount
    step 3 - have a coffee
    step 4 - wait two hours
    step 5 - test Blood Glucose
    step 6 - adjust Insulin amount
    repeat from step 2 if results at step 5 are too high or low.
I know that might take you all day and it could be a lot of coffee but, well, you are 'Hooked' :lol:

Hiya, thanks for replying. Yes, I'm injecting insulin (novorapid and lantus). Would there not be a problem with insulin overlaps if I was to inject two hours afterwards etc? I'm seeing the nurse again on Monday, so hope to discuss it with her then.... but there's a weekend of possible coffees before then. :wink:

H

Hooked

nomistheman said:
Perhaps it would be better to ask the barrista or contact head office of the 'fancy' coffee shops you frequent and ask for the carb content of the coffees you drink? :idea:

I doubt if the barista would have a clue at most of the places I have coffee at; they're local run places. I might have better luck with the chain stores though, at least with their head offices. I was hoping a fellow diabetic coffee addict might have been able to enlighten me to CHO amounts in them, or the jist of how to judge.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I was addicted but now try to stick to coffee without milk because of the problems it created for me

hornplayer

Venti caramel coffee frappucino light, no cream. It used to be a food group. (Sigh) haven't been to Starbucks in about 6 weeks. Too traumatising. :( did park my car outside today and gaze longingly for a bit though.

Seriously. No lollies, no iced coffee, no ice cream. Summer is looking worse by the minute. :( :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love a latte, or cappuccino, but stopped having them when I went low carb. I guess you could either do a trial run without any overlap or have an Americano?

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know both Costa and Starbucks have their nutritional info for all products as I have asked and they've been really good at getting me the info when requested when I order. Starbucks also have an app which tells you the nutritional info for every drink etc. And Costa's website has a fab feature which automatically updates the nutritional info in real time if you add syrup or milk etc to your order.

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And I must point out the important bit that I have had no issues with the carb content those things have suggested. BM's always been good after their drinks based on their carb content info provided.

hornplayer

Hmm, didn't know about the app, thanks for that. I'm on less than 40g carbs per day, which I tend to have as vegetables. I haven't eaten anything sweet since diagnosis. My tastes have probably changed. Also, my BG readings have come down from high teens at diagnosis to fasting 6.9, before meals 4.5, after meals no more than 6. I don't want to risk wrecking that just coz one corner of my brain is having a sulk.

- I think Neil mentioned getting a spike from milk? Yeah. Well, I'm not that fussed on milk, so I don't think I'll bother with that one. To be honest. I prefer M&S decaf to "real" coffee anyway.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hooked said:
How on earth do we even begin to count coffees such as lattes, cappuccinos, with or without added syrups (for those times I forget to ask for the sugar free syrups and only realise after drinking it)

I've never had one TBH, could you not second guess the carb content of these drinks using the nutritional information from the larger coffee chains and see how you get on?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People making judgements.
I love Starbucks ...... I love my lattes in the morning. I will have one large made with Soya milk it will stay there all day ( yes I will even drink it cold).

H

Hooked

hornplayer said:
Venti caramel coffee frappucino light, no cream. It used to be a food group. (Sigh) haven't been to Starbucks in about 6 weeks. Too traumatising. :( did park my car outside today and gaze longingly for a bit though.

Seriously. No lollies, no iced coffee, no ice cream. Summer is looking worse by the minute. :( :(

I might join you sitting in the car staring in. :lol: No lollies, iced coffee or icecream? You poor thing.
I treat myself to these things after a high fibre meal to help slow them down a little.

H

Hooked

SamJB said:
I love a latte, or cappuccino, but stopped having them when I went low carb. I guess you could either do a trial run without any overlap or have an Americano?

Reality is I will have them now and again. I'd rather it now be an informed choice I can take insulin for, rather than the "to hell with it all" attitude I used to adopt. :wink:

H

Hooked

Fallen_skydive_angel said:
I know both Costa and Starbucks have their nutritional info for all products as I have asked and they've been really good at getting me the info when requested when I order. Starbucks also have an app which tells you the nutritional info for every drink etc. And Costa's website has a fab feature which automatically updates the nutritional info in real time if you add syrup or milk etc to your order.

Brill! Thanks for letting me know! :D

H

Hooked

noblehead said:
Hooked said:
How on earth do we even begin to count coffees such as lattes, cappuccinos, with or without added syrups (for those times I forget to ask for the sugar free syrups and only realise after drinking it)

I've never had one TBH, could you not second guess the carb content of these drinks using the nutritional information from the larger coffee chains and see how you get on?

That's what I'm going to do, now I know that the chains have those. :D
Thank you everyone for the help!

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Most coffee chains have nutritional info , I find costa lattes/capps etc have less than nero and shitbucks lol