Covid and diabetes risk - including in young

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ash-as-doctors-find-that-covid-spurs-diabetes

Gathering evidence that having Covid-19 can possibly trigger diabetes.
There is a world wide data collection exercise going on to try and quantify this.

One concerning factor is the apparent increase in T1 (and T2) in young people who have had Covid-19.

This goes against the campaign which more or less says "Covid-19 doesn't affect the young. Open up now. Don't bother to vaccinate!".

No doubt we will only really know in a couple of years time.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ash-as-doctors-find-that-covid-spurs-diabetes

Gathering evidence that having Covid-19 can possibly trigger diabetes.
There is a world wide data collection exercise going on to try and quantify this.

One concerning factor is the apparent increase in T1 (and T2) in young people who have had Covid-19.

This goes against the campaign which more or less says "Covid-19 doesn't affect the young. Open up now. Don't bother to vaccinate!".

No doubt we will only really know in a couple of years time.

Others have pointed out that the pandemic represents a clash between a virus and a metabolically unwell population but the article hasn't provided much evidence for the claim that covid causes type 2 diabetes let alone type 1.
Re type 2 and in the research referenced the absolute additional risk was 0.065 diagnosed but not hospitialised and 0,37% in those hospitalised. Not big numbers and could just mean that if you are more liable to get diabetes you are more likely to suffer badly with covid and vice versa. Of course being inactive and treated with steroids doesn't help I am sure but what is not discussed is how those people might have been helped by improving their health during the pandemic and before the next respiratory illness season begins.
As for type 1, we already know that some cases are triggered by the virus. The evidence was anecdotal which is harcly surprising given that US parents will be hyper aware of covid and therefore link things. I doubt this would have been reported had their child's diabetes been triggered by influenza which was actually more likely given the fact that kids do suffer more when they catch the flu. The incidence of type 1 was then conflated with rising incidence of type 2 in kids which the article admits is due to lifestyle factors.
I didn't find much of substance in this piece and certainly couldn't use it to justify vaccination programmes for the young and healthy. I think many of the young adults who will get this vaccine will do so because they think it is the right thing to do or they feel that their freedoms will be curtailed if they don't.