1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid Question

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by MissPooh, Jul 18, 2020.

1. MissPooh

MissPooh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hope I’m in the right place to ask, and that I’m never in the position to find out...
    If you are T2 but get things under control and maintain a healthy weight does that reduce your level of risk re Covid complications?
    I’m still early days (for the 2nd time) and in consultation with my GP have stopped Metformin as it was making me feel so rotten, so for now it’s me and my monitor.
    The whole Covid situation is an added worry.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

As there has been no double blinded, random control trial on this, nobody can give a fully informed answer. However, if you ensure that you are in the best possible health, without too much extra weight, you are starting from a good position. It's never a bad time to sort out your blood sugars.
    Sally

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree that there is no definitive answer. The best we can all do is to try to keep our blood sugar levels in the normal range and to keep as healthy as we can be. The only thing else I feel we can do is to take precautions about where we go and what we do- keep social distancing self isolate if necessary etc.

4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

In several of the other long running covid threads there have been links to studies in China, I think the U.K. and somewhere else?? that do support having good glycemic control (defined from memory at below 58mmol hb1ac) is associated with better outcomes in hospitalised patients. Similarly for being of normal weight v obese. Perhaps do some searching on here and you’ll find the links.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook