Covid recovery

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, Happy New Year to everyone.
I’m on about day 12 of Covid, have now tested negative. But still feeling exhausted with low energy.
Has anyone got any tips? Not being able to load up on sugar, carbs, orange juice, fruit, lemsip and caffeine because of reactive hypoglycaemia means I don’t have any tricks to get going again. I did eat healthily/ low carb throughout- only took vitamin B,C,D,K and paracetamol.

• Hug
Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think covid affects us differently. I had it last September. For about 2 months it caused quite severe diarrhoea and stomach cramps. I couldn’t keep to low carb, mainly ate toast, with the occasional banana. My HbA1c wasn’t adversely affected. In fact it reduced by several points.
The only thing I can suggest, @Giraffe 95 , is to take your time, and stick to the diet regime that suits you.

Reactions: Giraffe 95

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had covid twice unfortunately, the first time tested positive for around 10 days and I was exhausted for about a month afterwards. The second time positive for only 4 days and recovered much quicker but I put that down to the 3 booster vaccines I’d had. Apart from taking supplements especially vitamin D (which all diabetics should have), getting enough protein is essential. The recommended calculations is 1g of protein for every pound of ideal weight, eg if your ideal weight is 157 pound then eat 157g of protein a day. If you’re not used to eating that much protein build it up gradually. I got this table from a YouTube nutritionist

Attachments

• IMG_9719.png
    IMG_9719.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 61

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s interesting, I had low vitamin D last winter 47 nmol/L and had regular hypos. Was not sure if it was connected. Thanks for the 30g of protein chart.

• Hug
Reactions: MissMuffett

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's the only vitamin I need in winter time @Giraffe 95 g
There is a connection that vitamin D is helpful.
But I don't believe it's responsible for your hypos.
I can't think of a correlation.

I do agree about the protein.
I've not had covid, that I'm aware of, protein has helped with energy levels when I have a cold or such.

• Agree
Reactions: KennyA