Covid, type 2 and the dreaded TMI!

faeeyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Recently diagnosed type 2 with a high familial risk and previous gestational diabetes, so the diabetes thing isn't much of a surprise.

What is a surprise is how, since I had Covid, I've suddenly gone from testing in normal ranges at my annual check up every year, no problem to suddenly off the scale high sugar levels and chronic diarrhoea. The latter has been going on since I first got Covid and the nurse also thinks there may well be a link to Covid pushing me over the edge diabetes wise.

Ofc going onto Metformin has made the stomach upsets 10 times worse and I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow to request slow release and take a stool sample.....

My sugar levels start above what they should be after eating at fasting each morning, so I'm on a losing streak the rest of the day and I can't think the stomach troubles are helping.

Any other similar experiences?

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, a friend of mines son who is only 26 developed type 2 diabetes after having covid. No family history & his only at risk factor was being a bit over weight

faeeyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, a friend of mines son who is only 26 developed type 2 diabetes after having covid. No family history & his only at risk factor was being a bit over weight
Yes! It was like Bam! You're type 2! No gradual onset or Pre-diabetes, just one month fine and next peeing all the time, thirsty all the time and exhausted! Last year's HBAc1 40. This year 98!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! It was like Bam! You're type 2! No gradual onset or Pre-diabetes, just one month fine and next peeing all the time, thirsty all the time and exhausted! Last year's HBAc1 40. This year 98!
If it really is that sudden (and I know covid is a complicated issue and is definitely causing or exacerbating type 2 progression) you really should be being checked for type1, which is also being caused by covid btw. Have they done the antibody and c-peptide tests to check for or eliminate that possibility or explained why not?

faeeyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a colonoscopy on 6th to rule out bowel cancer and I'm going to ask about pancreatic. Today was the first day in months that I've had a solid stool and finally my blood sugars were down to 7.5 this morning. That's after being moved to slow release metformin and a strict low carb diet since I was diagnosed. I did wonder about type 1, but haven't been checked for that yet.