Cramps and Hypo's

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys,

Odd question, on Saturday morning I woke up with terrible cramp in my right calf, after this had passed it became apparent to me I was in a hypo, I tested my bloods and they were 3.

My right calf was then painful and stiff for the next 2 days.

I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else and if this is a common symptom of hypos for anyone else? Im presuming its something to do with a lack of glucose to the muscle?

:)

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Yes I think it probably was the cramp as it did spasm for what felt like forever (probably was only a few minutes)! Weirdly though when I have cramp and spasms any other time the pain doesn't seem to last as long but I suppose it will be something to do with the lack of glucose as well :)

It was just strange for me that this was my first symptom, I usually have weird dreams and wake up in a sweat but not this time :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Regularly have cramp in both legs,when low, high or perfect levels. Usually when in bed. It was a big feature of my pre diagnosis symptoms. The trick is as you feel it start, flex foot up immediately, and do not release until you are sure it has passed. This mitigates the after affects and makes coping easier. I have got very proficient at doing this in my sleep along with silent screaming so as not to disturb husband.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, I’ve had cramp with a hypo. I try to relieve it by putting my foot flat on the floor and drinking water as well as hypobusting carb.