Cramps and leg pain

umabell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals and children.
Hello. Have had Type2 for a long time but have just started insulin. Combination of tablets and low dosage. Insulin.
However since starting the injection I have had some calf cramps and find it very difficult to walk small distances. Saw the Doctor but he thinks it is not related to the insulin but has referred me to a vascular consultant. Appointment is not till September! Aargh!
Has anyone else had cramps or pain in the legs after taking insulin? Are all insulin the same? Would appreciate some guidance here. Note that I am no ver exercise oriented anyway!

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on statins, they can do this sort of thing, often not immediately so you don't automatically associate them with muscle problems. someone else with more knowledge will comment on the insulin aspect.
Sally

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello. Have had Type2 for a long time but have just started insulin. Combination of tablets and low dosage. Insulin.
However since starting the injection I have had some calf cramps and find it very difficult to walk small distances. Saw the Doctor but he thinks it is not related to the insulin but has referred me to a vascular consultant. Appointment is not till September! Aargh!
Has anyone else had cramps or pain in the legs after taking insulin? Are all insulin the same? Would appreciate some guidance here. Note that I am no ver exercise oriented anyway!

I've had cramp in my legs at night and its miserable. Have you started eating a reduced carb diet as that can bring it on?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Note, cramps caused by starting a low carb diet (and, I have discovered, a few days perspiring in the Mediterranean sun) can be sorted by upping your salt levels. Many recommend stock cubes, or simply putting the stuff on your food.
Sally

Fearless36

Cramps can also appear when the sugars are very high (and by high I mean over 20). I can't remember the name of the doctor, but he wrote an article about symptons of diabetes and one of them he covered was cramps, and his opinion was that if the sugars were unstable that cramps would only appear when the person's sugars went very high and often this would occur in the middle of the night for his patients.

LozAm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you had your thyroid levels checked? I had terrible muscle cramps and it was found my thyroid levels were too low. Cold hands and feet are also a sign.