Crashes after carbs- is this RH?

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am so surprised i have not read about this only because my gp tells me i am definitely type II, however, i have said before, if i really have to eat carbs, i.e. a 30g bowl of porridge is enough, within an hour i crash, pass out, if i eat anything carby it does the same but the likes of porridge are like intravenous to me. It was suggested that I have c=peptide test done, i still have the results here and I was on the keto diet when these were taken, i have not had any other tests since the lockdown. I'm still feeling terrible all the time now that i'm back on the jardiance.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know what your blood glucose is when you feel you crash?

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I think that if you are type two, or they think you are, you need to reduce your carbs, and that includes grains. If you're a reactive hypoglycemic, the same is true. So until lockdown is over, I'd take your diet very seriously and just try and do your best to try and avoid a crash. Nobody will be able to tell you if a crash is RH regardless as to what caused it because the same triggers are true for diabetics. Have you ever had a glucose tolerance test?

Reactions: Serena51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so surprised i have not read about this only because my gp tells me i am definitely type II, however, i have said before, if i really have to eat carbs, i.e. a 30g bowl of porridge is enough, within an hour i crash, pass out, if i eat anything carby it does the same but the likes of porridge are like intravenous to me. It was suggested that I have c=peptide test done, i still have the results here and I was on the keto diet when these were taken, i have not had any other tests since the lockdown. I'm still feeling terrible all the time now that i'm back on the jardiance.

Hi Millie_

RH is a variable thing. Carb tolerances vary hugely, and so do RH reactions. Sometimes it is particular carbs (in my case gluten) that causes a worse reaction than others (in my case sugar or potato). Sometimes food intolerances look a heck of a lot like RH. Also, there are other medical conditions that display the same symptoms.

As @Antje77 mentioned, you really need to have clear records of your blood glucose is you intend to take the evidence to your doc to push for further investigation into RH. I would suggest that you monitor your blood glucose before eating, then try to find out how high your bg goes (whenever that is), and then keep testing until you know when your bg drops to its lowest.

Then you can check whether your symptoms are tied to your blood glucose levels and discuss that with your doc.

You mentioned that you had a c-peptide test, and that you have the results, but you don't say what they are.

My experience of RH is that keto has helped tremendously, but if you were still experiencing your symptoms while you were strictly ketoing, and you have the blood glucose test results to show it, then keto may not be the answer for you.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Millie_

RH is a variable thing. Carb tolerances vary hugely, and so do RH reactions. Sometimes it is particular carbs (in my case gluten) that causes a worse reaction than others (in my case sugar or potato). Sometimes food intolerances look a heck of a lot like RH. Also, there are other medical conditions that display the same symptoms.

As @Antje77 mentioned, you really need to have clear records of your blood glucose is you intend to take the evidence to your doc to push for further investigation into RH. I would suggest that you monitor your blood glucose before eating, then try to find out how high your bg goes (whenever that is), and then keep testing until you know when your bg drops to its lowest.

Then you can check whether your symptoms are tied to your blood glucose levels and discuss that with your doc.

You mentioned that you had a c-peptide test, and that you have the results, but you don't say what they are.

My experience of RH is that keto has helped tremendously, but if you were still experiencing your symptoms while you were strictly ketoing, and you have the blood glucose test results to show it, then keto may not be the answer for you.

i had my dinner nearly 2 hours ago, Albacore Tuna salad, spring onions, a handful of small tomatoes- i didn't eat all of them, hard boiled eggs, lettuce, yellow pepper, some mayo and half a teaspoon of pepper sauce, my sugar level is now 6.5mmol and i'm starting to pass out, i shall have to crash very shortly. Sugars before eating tonight were 6.0 mmol, these are really low readings for me, whilst doing the keto i have been 16- 18.5mmol pretty much most of the time. I took the forxiga for 4-5 days and it made me feel yukk so went back on the Jardiance..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i had my dinner nearly 2 hours ago, Albacore Tuna salad, spring onions, a handful of small tomatoes- i didn't eat all of them, hard boiled eggs, lettuce, yellow pepper, some mayo and half a teaspoon of pepper sauce, my sugar level is now 6.5mmol and i'm starting to pass out, i shall have to crash very shortly. Sugars before eating tonight were 6.0 mmol, these are really low readings for me, whilst doing the keto i have been 16- 18.5mmol pretty much most of the time. I took the forxiga for 4-5 days and it made me feel yukk so went back on the Jardiance..
If you are used to figures in the mid teens and quickly reduce to the 6’s then you are likely experiencing a false hypo. It is a safe physiological level not hypoglycaemic . But the feelings all feel as if it is hypoglycaemia in very real ways. Think of it as a toddler tantrum. Your body is used t a certain (very high) bgl. You withdraw this level of sugar saturation quickly and the body protests against the change thinking it’s too low (Ie lower than its used to). Either consider a slower adjustment by getting the dr to alter and more slowly adjust meds, a slight easing of symptoms with a small and reducing amount of carbs or soldiering on through it if you are otherwise safe (no falls/crashes etc). If this is what it is it won’t last forever. Your body will get used to new normals. Eyesight might well feel blurry for a few weeks too as eyeball stop bathing in sugar. Altogether rather unpleasant but long term worth coming through the other side of it some how.