Crazy Crazy Advice

kentishman

These medical experts seem to know little about Diabetes. I have been a T2 for 40 years and have learned much by research and what is happening.to my own body. Firstly, it is a fact that a low carb diet will bring down your BGs. I bekieve the medics think you will make up for the loss of carbs by overeating of fats. This need not happen as the body adjusts after a while and as long as the diet is balanced you can remain healthy.
Testing is necessary as bringing down the readings could result in a hypo. I follow my diet and test once a day before going to bed.There seems to be no loss of energy.At the age of 87 I play golf three times a week and walk round the course.
Weight control is necessary and the diet recommended would probably result in weight gain.
Having said all this I know little about T1s or T2s on Insulin.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Kentishman. :D

When I saw that you have been T2 for 40 years and are playing golf three times a week at the age of 87 I smiled to myself and said,"I don't suppose he followed the 'eat plenty of starchy carbohydrates' advice churned out to us!" :D 8) :lol: :roll:

JohnFox

Wow!
Beginners Luck!
You seem to have hit the jackpot on your first try!
I was first diagnosed, ten years ago, but left to get on with things on my own.
About four years ago, my doctor started to push the drugs at me and sent me
for diabetic education, group meetings, and chat with a 'nutritionist'.
I felt duty bound to try what i was being told, but within two weeks of eating
the recommended diet of carbs with every meal, i'd gained about ten pounds
of fat!
Never Again!
Low carb was working for me, and is working for me again...
I try to test my blood sugar levels, every morning on waking, i also check my low
carb effectiveness by using Ketosticks each morning too.
I have added coenzyme Q10 to my supplements and am amazed by the increased
sensitivity in my legs, feet, arms and hands...
For those who really do want sweetness in some foods, i can suggest Xylitol, or/and
Stevia, neither of which any one in the NHS will tell us about. These are sweeteners
that have several health benefits and no known downsides.
Generally, i am avoiding processed foods, in favour of organic home cooking, i do
have the occasional lapse; i did cook pancakes on Shrove Tuesday and i will, very
occasionally have home-made chips with a steak and peas, but as i monitor the
effects each morning, i feel i am in control and am still nodding toward my traditions
and background...
I have promised myself that i will check out making chocolate with Xylitol, when time
allows, but that has not happened yet...
'Juicing' is also something that is waiting for time and money to allow...
STICK TO YOUR SUCCESSFUL LOW-CARB AND DAILY TESTING,
then you are in control and you know what you are doing with your own body and life.

Very best wishes from John Fox in London.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Benniesmum,

your record shows you are doing superbly, but when you get your HBA1C to 5.9, dont forget to set a new target!!.

:D

Good Luck - Steve