Crazy Levels

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Having a moment about 2 hours ago reading as HI, took correctional on pump and changed cannula and tubing, just checked now to see if I’d come down, now I’m 32.9! So changed cannula and tubing and taking correctional with pen, going to sleep will test again in an hour, think it’s my injection sites maybe?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
HI @Tracyann35, From my experience as a diabetic, not as professional advice or opinion:
Did any of the cannulas you removed look bent either at the junction of cannula with the disc sitting on the skin or partway along the cannula length? And does the tubing seem to fill readily when newly primed?
If it was a faulty battery contact, as has happened to me in the past, the pump of course would not be working.
A good strategy to use the pen as an alternative for correction dose.
Also I know that if my BSL is very high, and particularly with any ketones present, my usual correction ratios are insufficient due to increased insulin resistance. Your DN/doctor could advise you for appropriate adjustment of correction doses to allow for this.
Any reasons to suppose your insulin has been frozen recently or been exposed to temperatures above 30 degrees C or been out the fridge for > 28 to 30 days? (that is, could your insulin have been rendered inactive)?
If in doubt I replace both cartridge and the used insulin vial as well as the tubing/needle insert set.
I also check my blood ketones to see what they are at such high BSL levels and report them to doctor or dn asap.
Any feelings of illness, a cold coming on or that time of the month?
Best Wishes for a speedy resolution.

Reactions: Tracyann35

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for you help and advice much appreciated didn’t really take much notice of cannula just changed cannula tubing and insulin to be on safe side, had a terrible stomach and sweats in night but not sure if that was down to the really high sugars, when I tested how come down to 15.4 and woke up in 4.1 so got there in the end!