Creon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
The dreaded C woes has been mentioned and I've heard varying reports about Creon. Does it exacerbate loose stool? Does it make you gain weight? Thanks in advance

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on Creon capsules for 11 years because of Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) and haven’t had any negatives only positives because it helps me get the nutritional benefits from the food I eat. The dosage for me has increased in the last few years but I am not on the maximum possible. I guess all medicines have side effects but not everyone will be badly affected. If you could talk to the Endocrinology team they might be able to reassure you. Good luck!

Reactions: Antje77

wheelspinner

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather
The dreaded C woes has been mentioned and I've heard varying reports about Creon. Does it exacerbate loose stool? Does it make you gain weight? Thanks in advance
I suffered from Acute Severe Necrotising Pancreatitis in 2018 (almost killed me). I was put onto Creon, but had a few problems with digestion on them. I have now been on NUTRAZIM 22. It is not as strong, so need more capsules each meal/snack. Loose stools can be brought on by not taking enough Creon. I know how it is...
I can be taking 14 capsules per meal, especially if it is a bit fatty or loose stools, for me, are produced for several days before it settles down again.
The way it works is to enable the gut to metabolise the fat. If you don't take it then you have extremely loose stools and loose lots of weight. I find that I need to take the capsules in between mouthfuls of food, as it only works in a small area of the bowel, so if all capsules taken at same time it doesn't get to work on all your meal.
Hope that helps somewhat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I'm now 5 months in and STILL haven't been given Creon.
I'm extreemly symptomatic and its gotten down right embarrassing.
It's effecting intimacy between me and hb and I'm mortified.
Any advice you can offer until I get to see this bloody gastro team would be appreciated.
Thanks

mcqueen 64

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffered from Acute Severe Necrotising Pancreatitis in 2018 (almost killed me). I was put onto Creon, but had a few problems with digestion on them. I have now been on NUTRAZIM 22. It is not as strong, so need more capsules each meal/snack. Loose stools can be brought on by not taking enough Creon. I know how it is...

I can be taking 14 capsules per meal, especially if it is a bit fatty or loose stools, for me, are produced for several days before it settles down again.

The way it works is to enable the gut to metabolise the fat. If you don't take it then you have extremely loose stools and loose lots of weight. I find that I need to take the capsules in between mouthfuls of food, as it only works in a small area of the bowel, so if all capsules taken at same time it doesn't get to work on all your meal.

Hope that helps somewhat

I have been on creon 5 year but I struggle to keep weight on I'm 6.4 and 11.3 stone but I was told to eat a small portion of my food then take creon then finish the meal .I am definitely going to try your method of spreading the tablets out wile eating .