Critical glucose level ?

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
At what point does the BG level cause damage ?
I read that a constantly high BG level is the cause, so what damage can the occasional spike do ?
or am I worrying about nothing :?

CR741

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey talos,
yes you're right, if your bg levels are always high there will be problems, but everyone gets the occasional spike now and then. obviously if you get a really high reading one day like a 20 or something it may be advised to check for ketones, but as long as you correct it and get back on track as quickly as possible you shouldn't worry too much.
CR :wink:

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
CR741 said:
hey talos,
yes you're right, if your bg levels are always high there will be problems, but everyone gets the occasional spike now and then. obviously if you get a really high reading one day like a 20 or something it may be advised to check for ketones, but as long as you correct it and get back on track as quickly as possible you shouldn't worry too much.
CR :wink:

Thanks CR
My highest reading was a 7.1, but that was a while ago when I was learning to control it better.

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
7.1 is pretty perfect to me! (assuming you're talking random reading and not hba1c)
Don't freak out over the occasional spike. It's normal....Having random high readings will not do you damage as long as you take the necessary steps to bring it back down asap. It's over a long period of time that high sugars will start to destruct. In my case a year..... but that's not normal.

Look after yourself!

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Angeldust said:
7.1 is pretty perfect to me! (assuming you're talking random reading and not hba1c)
Don't freak out over the occasional spike. It's normal....Having random high readings will not do you damage as long as you take the necessary steps to bring it back down asap. It's over a long period of time that high sugars will start to destruct. In my case a year..... but that's not normal.

Look after yourself!

Thanks for your advise, yes that was a random reading, most of my readings hit the 5.9-6.2 range, and I am well pleased with that :D

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
Those are excellent readings, well done to you for managing such tight control!