Crystal ball time - how long will you live?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
67.6 for me (and I do have an email address I use for SPAM email address collectors) but if I follow their guidelines I can live 'til i'm 67.4.......!

Deathclock says I'll be 73 when I'm 6ft under. Now what are the new state retirement ages???

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
67.6 for me (and I do have an email address I use for SPAM email address collectors) but if I follow their guidelines I can live 'til i'm 67.4.......!

Deathclock says I'll be 73 when I'm 6ft under. Now what are the new state retirement ages???

By then, 74 I imagine. x

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am 48 and having input my 'data' (non smoker, diabetic t1, eat red meat, nuts, dairy but no lentils/beans or wholegrains) I have got a measly score of 64.3
Have sent this to my husband as it doesn't look as though we will have to save as much for our retirement as I had planned....:arghh:
https://apps.bluezones.com/en/vitality/background
I did do this in good faith as it is based on the Blue Zones 'research'.
Can any of you lot get a lower score than me??
I got 48.2yrs and I've exceeded that in May. So I must be on borrowed time. Eh?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got 48.2yrs and I've exceeded that in May. So I must be on borrowed time. Eh?
You and me both - but you've done better than me as I only passed my calculated life span last month - but I'm not paying them a penny for any and all borrowed time.
:dead:

@slip I have an email address that I should have used but being a bit addled I forgot to use it. However I can go and set me up a spam filter now you've reminded me!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I got on the dot 69. It told me to eat more wholegrains, *eye rolls*

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I did the test for a giggle..... I have 3 yrs to live.

So, I thought, well, I'm doomed. I better do something fast. So, I changed everything, cut meat in half, selected the maximum amount of grains and fruit that I could and I'm saved.... saved I tell you, I now have another 43 yrs to live. And could even live to 96.... sure beats 53.

All I have to do is eat way less red meat and basically follow dietary guidelines that have worked out so well for so many people.

I feel like a new person. Going to go paint the town beige!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I’m going to die at tea time, munching on a biscuit.

We don’t have “tea time” in the U.S. so can someone please tell me what time of day I should plan for my demise? I wonder if that GMT or my time zone. Also, are biscuits more like cookies v biscuits and gravy? Because if I go eating cookies, I’m happy.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Aaargh, filled in the whole thing and expect I should have been dead already (apart from diabetes and very few whole (or other) grains and fruit) I'm also overweight by quite a lot, didn't finish education, smoke and drink too much but I'm not about to give them my e-mail address so I'll never know until I die and by then it will be too late to answer the question in your title.

You only have one email address?

Rush over to Gmail immediately and register a throw away address for using on this kind of site!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I’m going to die at tea time, munching on a biscuit.

We don’t have “tea time” in the U.S. so can someone please tell me what time of day I should plan for my demise? I wonder if that GMT or my time zone. Also, are biscuits more like cookies v biscuits and gravy? Because if I go eating cookies, I’m happy.

Biscuits are more like cookies, not the biscuits and gravy served for breakfast in just about every motel offering breakfast in the US. Tea time is around dinner time, but I'd suggest planning your demise just after dessert is finished and you've watched your fave show. And just before all the washing is due to be done. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You only have one email address?
Yes. The only one I've ever had, so it's a hotmail address and it's a combination of my name and my dog's...
I'm 42.
Rush over to Gmail immediately and register a throw away address for using on this kind of site!
Have done so a couple of times in the past (so the above wasn't completely true) but never managed to remember my e- mail address and password for longer than I needed to get the results/free game/whatever I made that particular address for.

Reactions: Robbity

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tea time depends on latitude.
Different meanings in the North and South.

Full Northern meal schedule:

Breakfast
Elevenses
Dinner
Afternoon tea
Tea
Supper

With careful planning they almost merge into one.

Southern schedule:

Breakfast
Lunch (pronounced launch)
Dinner (pronounced dinn-aah, often taken quite late)

With my speculating hat on, I think the Northern schedule may have been based around factory working.
Once HSAWA started to kick in, factory workers has mandatory breaks to stop them fainting from hunger and falling into the machines and jamming up the production lines.

I experienced that as a nancy Southerner when I moved jobs to one that was more "industrial".
I was just unglazing and beginning to notice the day and get up a head of steam when everyone announced "teabreak" and headed for the canteen. Same in the afternoon. There were regular breaks every couple of hours to give the workers (and me) a rest.

Pernicious habit once it takes hold.
I mean, look at me now!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I used a throwaway email address so they can't track me or spam me after. According to them I am going to die before Dec this year - unless I pay them to take a course to give me another 3 or 4 years.

Think I'll save my money and have a farewell party instead!
worst rubbish so far from one of these spam & data mining sites

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Breakfast
Elevenses
Dinner
Afternoon tea
Tea
Supper

Southern schedule:

Breakfast

With my speculating hat on, I think the Northern schedule may have been based around factory working.
Once HSAWA started to kick in, factory workers has mandatory breaks to stop them fainting from hunger and falling into the machines and jamming up the production lines.

I experienced that as a nancy Southerner when I moved jobs to one that was more "industrial".
I was just unglazing and beginning to notice the day and get up a head of steam when everyone announced "teabreak" and headed for the canteen. Same in the afternoon. There were regular breaks every couple of hours to give the workers (and me) a rest.

I mean, look at me now!
Have I misunderstood? Is this tongue in cheek? In your interpretation it would mean more T2 in the North specifically because of the differences in what we call our meal times. I am Northern and I have never used the phrases 'elevenses' or ' brunch' or 'afternoon tea'. (Granted, you didn't use the word brunch but it has the same ish connotation). You infer a difference in the amount of meals between north and south may I ask if this difference starts at Watford?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Breakfast
Elevenses
Dinner
Afternoon tea
Tea
Supper

Southern schedule:

Breakfast

I mean, look at me now!

Ooh this is dangerous territory.
As a born southerner, living in the north, with a northerner, I can testify that your listed schedules don’t fit my experience/observations for either N or S.

Beyond that, i will decline to comment ;)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have I misunderstood? Is this tongue in cheek? In your interpretation it would mean more T2 in the North specifically because of the differences in what we call our meal times. I am Northern and I have never used the phrases 'elevenses' or ' brunch' or 'afternoon tea'. (Granted, you didn't use the word brunch but it has the same ish connotation). You infer a difference in the amount of meals between north and south may I ask if this difference starts at Watford?

Only slightly tongue in cheek, based on being born in Lancashire and moving to Essex when quite young.

So I don't know if it was pure Lancashire, or a mixture.

I do know that in Lancashire it is breakfast dinner and tea whereas in Essex it is breakfast, lunch and dinner.

To me brunch is breakfast eaten so late that is effectively also lunch and a single meal, whereas I am talking above about three separate meals with (small) gaps in between.

I am more serious when I say that I think that it could be related to factory labour which was heavily manual and required a lot of food just to keep going.

I also remember at school having a break mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Still, when you are growing you need more food and I was never over weight as a child or teenager.

I suspect that a lot of T2 may be related to people growing up in a time of manual labour (docks, newspapers, car manufacture, coal mines) which required a lot of food and now being in an age of desk jockeys which doesn't require nearly as much food each day.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Only slightly tongue in cheek, based on being born in Lancashire and moving to Essex when quite young.

So I don't know if it was pure Lancashire, or a mixture.

I do know that in Lancashire it is breakfast dinner and tea whereas in Essex it is breakfast, lunch and dinner.

To me brunch is breakfast eaten so late that is effectively also lunch and a single meal, whereas I am talking above about three separate meals with (small) gaps in between.

I am more serious when I say that I think that it could be related to factory labour which was heavily manual and required a lot of food just to keep going.

I also remember at school having a break mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Still, when you are growing you need more food and I was never over weight as a child or teenager.

I suspect that a lot of T2 may be related to people growing up in a time of manual labour (docks, newspapers, car manufacture, coal mines) which required a lot of food and now being in an age of desk jockeys which doesn't require nearly as much food each day.
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. Your premise seems to be grounded in CICO. And I am sure that I need not remind you that not everyone with T2 overeats, underexercises or becomes overweight/obese. We did not develope T2 because technology advanced in the workplace. We may have developed T2 because of technological innovation in the Food Industry (partly).

I will say again 'eat less move more' does not help in the long term.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. Your premise seems to be grounded in CICO. And I am sure that I need not remind you that not everyone with T2 overeats, underexercises or becomes overweight/obese. We did not develope T2 because technology advanced in the workplace. We may have developed T2 because of technological innovation in the Food Industry (partly).

I will say again 'eat less move more' does not help in the long term.

I think we may be in violent agreement.
A combination of modern foods and modern lifestyle seems to be driving both obesity and potentially earlier diagnosis of T2 diabetes.
A higher proportion of manual labour and the general use of home cooked meals produced from fresh ingredients (because that's what there was) may well explain why previous generations didn't have the same obesity problems.

I think back in the '50s it was "eat more, move more" and you didn't get fat because you burned all that energy off.
You did, however, end up physically knackered by the time you were in your 50s and 60s.
There is a reason why retirement age was set at 65, to give you a year or so to put your affairs in order before your body gave up.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think we may be in violent agreement.
A combination of modern foods and modern lifestyle seems to be driving both obesity and potentially earlier diagnosis of T2 diabetes.
A higher proportion of manual labour and the general use of home cooked meals produced from fresh ingredients (because that's what there was) may well explain why previous generations didn't have the same obesity problems.

I think back in the '50s it was "eat more, move more" and you didn't get fat because you burned all that energy off.
You did, however, end up physically knackered by the time you were in your 50s and 60s.
There is a reason why retirement age was set at 65, to give you a year or so to put your affairs in order before your body gave up.
I think we will or must leave it there. We are not going to agree on this.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a long time defected northener, up there it was
  • breakfast​
  • dinner​
  • tea​
and now I've lived "darn sarf" for over half of my life, it's been
  • breakfast
  • lunch
  • dinner
However having worked both north and south, we've always had morning and afternoon tea breaks in both regions.:D

Robbity

mjo428

Robbity - you are correct! And in the US it is later and later - while I still have some days where I eat too much in the evening, I have tried to train myself to eat a ‘tapas plate’ serving of low carb food with tea - 5 days a week - red wine serving the other 2 - my dr just looked at me and smiled when I said that somewhere along the way I bot into red wine having a health benefit - and at least 5 days/week I walk at least 5k over the course of the day.

Reactions: AloeSvea