1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cucumber

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Diabeticger, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Diabeticger

Diabeticger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Cucumber , is it low or no carb, seen a post on Instagram of a lady having slices of it with cheddar cheese so tried it , was too nice to be good for me , didn't spike my bloods , but I'm afraid like porridge or was fantastic taste wise and blood wise but then BOOM it started to spike me

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. resander

resander Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It depends. Carb per 100g at www.tesco.com:
    - plain cucumber 1.5g (no worry)
    - pickled cucumber 9.3g (too high for 20g/per day keto diets)

#2 resander, Jun 13, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Look up how many carbs in cucumber and cheddar and how many carbs in porridge.
    That should set your mind at ease ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Diabeticger

Diabeticger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Porridge had a 30g fmof carbs per bowl , with the milk probably up to 40/45 but one day and ever since it spikes my mmol readings

5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Cucumber has 1 or 2 grams of carbs per 100 grams, cheddar even less.
    So why would you fear those less than 5 grams of carbs for a big portion of cucumber and cheddar would do the same to your blood sugar as 10 times that many carbs from the porridge?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with @Antje77 - while cucumber does have some carbs it is very low carbs so unless you are trying for less than 10 grams or maybe 20 grams a day you should just be able to eat it without worrying at all. If going under 20n grams a day you can still have some but just keep a note of how many you eat. - If you are going for less then 20 grams a day you shouldn't even smell porridge:(. I used to regularly have oats as they are 'healthy' but no ,longer- still do eat some cucumber- well when it is warmer I do. Cucumber and cheese- lovely low carb snack.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi, get yourself a helpful carbs and cals book, or google foods for their nutritional value. My daughter and I love cucumber, tried to grow my own for the first time last year but not a great success, only three and they were quite small, but tasty and I love it with a dip.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook