Curalin? Anyone know anything about it?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much!
Curalin
Has anyone heard of it or even tried it, I bought it and it arrived yesterday. I had already taken 1 x 500 Metformin after breakfast. (I usually take a further 3 ) but when the Curalin arrived thought I would try one of them instead.
But ........my level dropped to 1.9 mm so I really panicked and had to eat some chocolate and grapes to bring my sugar levels up again.
Has anyone spoken to their GP, what did they think? I’m afraid my GP won’t know anything about it and won’t want me to take it. any feedback would be appreciated

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at the other reading results you have shared on this Forum so far, it would seem that this reading is an incorrect meter reading. At 1.9 mmol.l you would have been almost comatose, and certainly not very compos mentis. Most of your reported readings seem to be around 10 mmol/l so this reading stands out as abnormal, but nothing in Curalin would produce such a large drop in sugar levels,

There was a recent discussion on this here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/curalin-an-answer-yes-or-no.158494/

Reactions: oldgreymare
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much!
Looking at the other reading results you have shared on this Forum so far, it would seem that this reading is an incorrect meter reading. At 1.9 mmol.l you would have been almost comatose, and certainly not very compos mentis. Most of your reported readings seem to be around 10 mmol/l so this reading stands out as abnormal, but nothing in Curalin would produce such a large drop in sugar levels,

There was a recent discussion on this here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/curalin-an-answer-yes-or-no.158494/
Hi, I tried more than once and the reading was the same, I wondered if the meter was faulty I’m using a sinocare one, then I thought it was the strips. I then went and tried my Avivo Nano and it was the same. Funny enough I was speaking to several people on a forum last night and they had 1.7mm as their lowest and they took jelly babies to raise it quickly as I did with chocolate, grapes etc. I think my error was I didn’t test directly before eating and taking my Curalin capsule, so I may have already been low as I had a carb free meal. Spoke to my diabetes nurse this morning and she said that 1.9mm is dangerous but not unusual with people who are trialling new medication but not testing. I am monitoring my pre meal levels and if I dont need medication because my levels are good then I shouldn’t take any Curalin.
Hope that helps.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I tried more than once and the reading was the same, I wondered if the meter was faulty I’m using a sinocare one, then I thought it was the strips. I then went and tried my Avivo Nano and it was the same. Funny enough I was speaking to several people on a forum last night and they had 1.7mm as their lowest and they took jelly babies to raise it quickly as I did with chocolate, grapes etc. I think my error was I didn’t test directly before eating and taking my Curalin capsule, so I may have already been low as I had a carb free meal. Spoke to my diabetes nurse this morning and she said that 1.9mm is dangerous but not unusual with people who are trialling new medication but not testing. I am monitoring my pre meal levels and if I dont need medication because my levels are good then I shouldn’t take any Curalin.
Hope that helps.
The level you reported is not one that occurs naturally from the diet (even ultra low carb) or Metformin. Reports I have seen for Curalin also do not indicate these levels being achieved or reported, so it is something else. especially since normally your liver should have given a liver dump to prevent low bgl. Your previously reported levels of 10 mmol/l or so would have charged up your liver stores of glucose. Even people doing prolonged fasting or a zero-carb diet do not experience these low levels except in extreme circumstances.

Something else is happening. There are some here who have a condition known as Reactive Hypoglycemia (RH) and that can cause this sudden drop in sugar levels, similar to but not the same as diabetes. Curalin is claimed to restore normal glucose levels, but a 1.9 is not a normal response for someone not using insulin therapy.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @margauxwaguas1 how are the levels now? Have you continued to get these very low levels? Are you still taking Curalin?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much!
Hi I now don't take Curalin if my blood sugars are just over normal, I try to exercise instead but still getting great readings which I have never had before, I am normal most of the time, I-definitely wasnt before taking Curalin, can’t wait to get myA1c test to see what that says.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The FDA has issued a warning about the use of so-called ayurvedic alternative medicines for diabetes as containing active ingredients secretly added from standard diabetes medications. I have seen reports of one such company mixing sulfonyl medication to their natural products, and this can be dangerous especially if the drug comes from an older discontinued or banned medical product. I cannot explain your 1.9 readings any other way, since it defies normal logic. A reading of below 3.9 is technically a hypo event and could qualify for DVLA driving notification reporting. The brain starts to shut up shop as sugar levels drop, and a reading below 2.1 mmol/l is close to being near sleepy time. Something else is going on with this supplement, and I would advise anyone thinking of trying it to be aware that it seems to be capable of placing you into danger.
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/beware-illegally-marketed-diabetes-treatments

As I pointed out in the other thread, if this is a valid reading caused by this supplement, then it is more powerful than most oral medications, and should have been thoroughly tested for safety. It has not had the requisite science or medical oversight and is marketed by unqualified sources (Amazon etc) I side with the FDA on this one.

Reactions: Lianna7