1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Curalin? Anyone know anything about it?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by margauxwaguas1, May 13, 2021.

1. margauxwaguas1

margauxwaguas1 Type 2 · Member

Curalin
    Has anyone heard of it or even tried it, I bought it and it arrived yesterday. I had already taken 1 x 500 Metformin after breakfast. (I usually take a further 3 ) but when the Curalin arrived thought I would try one of them instead.
    But ........my level dropped to 1.9 mm so I really panicked and had to eat some chocolate and grapes to bring my sugar levels up again.
    Has anyone spoken to their GP, what did they think? I’m afraid my GP won’t know anything about it and won’t want me to take it. any feedback would be appreciated

2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Looking at the other reading results you have shared on this Forum so far, it would seem that this reading is an incorrect meter reading. At 1.9 mmol.l you would have been almost comatose, and certainly not very compos mentis. Most of your reported readings seem to be around 10 mmol/l so this reading stands out as abnormal, but nothing in Curalin would produce such a large drop in sugar levels,

There was a recent discussion on this here
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/curalin-an-answer-yes-or-no.158494/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. margauxwaguas1

margauxwaguas1 Type 2 · Member

Hi, I tried more than once and the reading was the same, I wondered if the meter was faulty I’m using a sinocare one, then I thought it was the strips. I then went and tried my Avivo Nano and it was the same. Funny enough I was speaking to several people on a forum last night and they had 1.7mm as their lowest and they took jelly babies to raise it quickly as I did with chocolate, grapes etc. I think my error was I didn’t test directly before eating and taking my Curalin capsule, so I may have already been low as I had a carb free meal. Spoke to my diabetes nurse this morning and she said that 1.9mm is dangerous but not unusual with people who are trialling new medication but not testing. I am monitoring my pre meal levels and if I dont need medication because my levels are good then I shouldn’t take any Curalin.
    Hope that helps.

4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

The level you reported is not one that occurs naturally from the diet (even ultra low carb) or Metformin. Reports I have seen for Curalin also do not indicate these levels being achieved or reported, so it is something else. especially since normally your liver should have given a liver dump to prevent low bgl. Your previously reported levels of 10 mmol/l or so would have charged up your liver stores of glucose. Even people doing prolonged fasting or a zero-carb diet do not experience these low levels except in extreme circumstances.

Something else is happening. There are some here who have a condition known as Reactive Hypoglycemia (RH) and that can cause this sudden drop in sugar levels, similar to but not the same as diabetes. Curalin is claimed to restore normal glucose levels, but a 1.9 is not a normal response for someone not using insulin therapy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook