Cured, Reversed or still Type 2 diabetic?

C

catherinecherub

I have noticed that some people state that they have cured/ reversed their Type 2 with diet, weight loss and exercise as they do not use medication.
That is not my take on this chronic condition. I am controlling it but do not know if it will progress. Have posted before to see how many years people have been medication free and keeping stable blood sugars, but to date, no replies. If there was some evidence that this can be done for 20+ years then I would feel more positve about the outcome for me.

This article is an interesting viewpoint. I have always maintained that some people are diagnosed late and will need medication through no fault of their own. Some are of the opinion that diet and weight loss is all that is needed. The article states, "In other cases, patients are diagnosed so late that their blood sugar levels can't be brought back to normal even with weight loss."

It would seem that there is to be a study done on diabetics who have "kicked" their meds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30294089/ns ... -diabetes/

dragongirl

If they do this study, it will be really interesting. I'm very keen to know how long "control" can be maintained. I suppose it may have something to do with whether there is anything else making the kidneys deteriorate besides the strain to produce sufficient insulin to counteract oodles of carbs.

Strangely, the article doesn't mention carb control at all. Just says to take in fewer calories than you use. This leaves the case studies mentioned as being people who were overweight and could tackle insulin resistance by losing weight (including via exercising). Some of us don't come in that category, being normal weight to start with, and exercising actually causes unhealthy weight loss. So any study would need to be far more inclusive of different kinds of diabetics.
DG

bufferz

the "cure" would in all likelyhood be the overweight t2s who do lose enough weight that the insulin resistance drops sufficiently for the insulin to do its job properly and hence no meds, but whether it is a cure or simply delaying the inevitable i couldnt say, although even if it was simply a delay, at least the few extra years being betes free would be benficial to you i would have thought.

Dippy3103

I guess i am one of the lucky ones.... i was diagnosed whilst my levels wern't high. I am hoping with sensible eating i can stay of the meds for a very long time, as i'm not even 40 yet.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm now 63 and using Metformin, although I have tried and I know I can do without it. I like the slight freedom it gives me. I keep to a very low carb regime and have an Hba1c which is in the average range for a non-diabetic[5.1%] HOWEVER, I am NOT cured. If I were to eat a large plate of pasta, My BG would spike through the roof.
What I have done is that in 6 1/2 years since diagnosis, I have prevented any "progression"
I think control is possible, but cure unlikely.
If I were to become seriously ill with some kind of infection, my hard work would probably fly out the window. I'm struggling now to keep the numbers down and all I have is a cold.