currious

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a type 1 diabetic I know what my sugars should be but I was curious to someone without diabetes :) I know someone who seems paranoid that they are going to get develop diabetes and I have told them not to worry but they do test their sugars every now and again, however today he has tested his sugars a couple of times as not feeling well and even I have to admit the results seem a little erratic... he didnt eat for about 6 hours and had a result of 8.6 and less than 2 hours after eating 4.1!!! I'm not worried he is diabetic but I was just curious if anyone knew if this was normal...? :)

slimtony

Hi Dragonflye,

The 8.6 fasting result is abnormally high. If you're certain that your friend never had anything to eat within 6 hours of that test (or any jam on his fingers during it), then he needs to get checked out by a doctor.

The lower reading after food is also not always a good sign, as it can signal a failing first-phase insulin response.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia

Good luck.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Of course if your friend was feeling sick and as such was actually a little ill then an elevated blood glucose would not be that much of a surprise.

There is also of course contaminent on hands and general meter errors.

The best test if your friend is that worried is for them to get a HbA1c at ther Dr. That would give the better long term indicator really.

/A

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the high result was just a 1 off result, I believe he's done a couple of fasting ones over the last month and I've not been made aware of any other "high" results

re the contaminent after the first highish result he washed his hands vigorously and retested.

I think i will get him to get the test done, just to stop him annoying me!!!! :)

As i say I personally don't think he is diabetic however I did find the results strange, but that's probably because I've lived with diabetes all my life and expect someone who is not diabetic to have perfect results :)

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah it is a tricky one I guess especially if someone is that worried about it.

If your friend symptomatic in any way? Though 1 high reading means nothing. It's like a Dr wanting to put you on blood pressure meds due to one high reading. Context is important.. if you just ran like a nutcase to get to the appointment on time are slightly stressed and suffer "white coat syndrome" of course it will be high... oddly enough I had that argument once and most of the time I am told I have perfect BP.

A1c would probably settle it once and for all though since I seem to recall reading an article not too long ago that was talking about A1c being used as a key metric for accurate diagnosis.

/A

jopar

The problem that our non-diabetic friends tend to forget is that blood glucose levels can and do flutuate and you could have quite an high reading and not be a diabetic even over a short period of time..

If your stress levels are high, you have an infection or fighting a cold etc this can boast the sugar levels, The highest reading I've seen in a non-diabetic has been 16mmol/l the individual had taken a funny turn so parmadic called, standard BG taken on arrival.. But after admittence to hospital more testing within a couple of hours it had returned to normal, further checks up's a couple of GTT's normal BG's :?

If an higher than normal reading is found then yes it does need to be checked out by a HCP so that any underlying cause can be ruled out, and monitored if necessary,

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LOL i really should know - I wouldnt say he has consistant symptoms ie a couple of weeks ago he was drinking a lot and toilet - he's had periods of being tired all the time, however that could be down to stress as he's been outta work (although starting new job in july) and occasions of being excessively hungry - all his syptoms you can pretty much find a reason and as they are not consistant I would say no :)

I'm going to advise him to ask to have a test, if just to put his mind at ease... the downside is we have the same GP and to put it blunt, they are as useful as a chocolate teapot (i suspected i was pregnant - went and was told no i wasnt... i asked what it could be and i direct quote as I will never forget what i was told "it could be anything" - as it happened I was pregnant, however lost it quite early on - not a sympathy vote as it made me really want a kid and because of it I now have a wonderful 6.5month old baby boy who loves he equally wonderful sister to bits :D )

Im a bit of a dunce when it comes to type 2 diabetes however can that be genetic? (his mum is type 2) - I really should know as my dad was diagnosed type 2, my dad and I advised my long time best friends father to get checked and he was diagnosed type 2, my uncle type 2, my parents best friends who ive always know as aunt and uncle are both type 2 - my wedding was like a diabetes convention as my cousin is also diabetic (type 1) :lol: