Cutting animal protein

Penroy

I have been very successful cutting carbs and eating more animal protein. I have defeated the sunrise syndrome with a protein snack before bed. I didn’t want to eat animal protein but am afraid to up my complex carbs significantly to compensate. I have been vegan and eat 30 Grams of whole grain/fibre daily and it was successful but I am not wanting to raise my cholesterol and I know to vegetarian diet will keep it in control. Dr just a General Practitioner so know little about nutrition, Holistic Practitioner is not fond of vegetarian eating. Don’t have support from any source so reluctant to venture into it alone. ????

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Penroy - a whole Food plant based diet can work for diabetes as well as a low carb diet. I've done both and they both worked for keeping blood sugars in range.

I'm currently on the vegan whole food plant based diet as I feel happier and have more energy. But everyone is different.

I would think you'd have a challenge to do low carb and vegan. Maybe Tofu and Tempeh? Avocados?

Beans and Lentils have carbs, but lots of fiber to off set it?

Oils (Inc coconut oil) are obviously low carb but maybe not that healthy. Especially the sat fat.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a protein shake before bed using Faba Bean protein powder and hazelnut (or soy, or almond) milk

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been very successful cutting carbs and eating more animal protein. I have defeated the sunrise syndrome with a protein snack before bed. I didn’t want to eat animal protein but am afraid to up my complex carbs significantly to compensate. I have been vegan and eat 30 Grams of whole grain/fibre daily and it was successful but I am not wanting to raise my cholesterol and I know to vegetarian diet will keep it in control. Dr just a General Practitioner so know little about nutrition, Holistic Practitioner is not fond of vegetarian eating. Don’t have support from any source so reluctant to venture into it alone. ????
As somebody with a big case of the dawn phenomenon I'm very curious about what you use as a protein snack.
So far for me nothing really seems to help. Tried apple cider vinegar, piece of cheese etc etc.

U.G

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A small apple + 1-2 tbsp nut butter (usually I eat pecan butter) helps keep my blood sugar stable through the night .
A week or two ago this was causing a bit of spike an hour after snack & then remaining constant all night (I have a CGM so can see the graph in the morning), but I switched to Granny Smith apple last night and that worked better .

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

U.G

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Half a slice of dimpilmeir high protein bread + 1-2 tbsp natural pecan butter (u can use natural PB or almond butter) also worked well.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
As somebody with a big case of the dawn phenomenon I'm very curious about what you use as a protein snack.
So far for me nothing really seems to help. Tried apple cider vinegar, piece of cheese etc etc.
Have you tried peanut butter, or a handful of lettuce seems to help me - sometimes lol

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried worse things than peanut butter ;). I will give it a go thanks!

U.G

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried worse things than peanut butter ;). I will give it a go thanks!

Make sure to try the natural kind. Almond butter is even better - but do pair it with a small amount of carbs that you tolerate well. Whether it’s low carb bread or half a small apple.

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make sure to try the natural kind. Almond butter is even better - but do pair it with a small amount of carbs that you tolerate well. Whether it’s low carb bread or half a small apple.
Thanks. Any special reason to "have" to pair it with some carbs?
I can get almond butter locally I see but it is as we say "Beter duur dan niet te koop" Loosely translated: Better expensive than not for sale! ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

U.G

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could just be me but when I had only nuts at night before bed or a spoon or two of nut butter my CGM showed that my blood glucose spiked a bit an hour or two later & then just stayed at that higher level all night , resulting in a higher fasting number. It didn’t dip in the night , but then fasting wasn’t ideal either.
When I pair it with half a small green apple, there is no spike and it remains more even all night .

Again, this could just be me & I’m figuring all this out too.

Yes the natural nut butters are expensive! I recently bought a powerful blender and have started making my own nut butters with just a pinch of salt and cinnamon added in. If you like nut butters this investment is totally worth it .

Wordy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for this. The connection between carbs and fats is very important, as you say, they can balance each other to stop spikes. This also works when planing other meals.