Cutting inappropriate blood glucose self-monitoring ‘could save NHS £20m’

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And yet you can get nicotine patches etc to help quit smoking ( and no I'm not having a go at smokers ;) )

Of course, as nicotine replacement items replace cigarettes, so smokers are saving money as they give up and reduce intake overall. So, giving an initial batch of nicotines patches / gum etc seem fair enough, then it seems fair enough for smokers to pay for rest, which may actually help them to invest in using items wisely to achieve end result of giving up completely.

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe our NHS was set up, at least partly, in response to the discovery, when recruiting personnel for the army during the second world war, it was discovered that a large part of our population were not too fit and healthy. So when we needed to rebuild the country both physically and economically after the war it was realised that to do this we needed a workforce fit enough to do the job. So the NHS was set up. What a pity that, at the same time, they didn't start an NHS drug company to service that thing we hold so dear. Just imagine how much better off the NHS would be now without being held to ransom by those powerful pharmos?

I don't think I'm very good at this! If my post seems a bit random, I was initially responding to Spencer67's post on 10 April.

Last edited by a moderator:

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I am type 2 been on insulin since last October without testing my blood sugars if I get bad toes my sugars is irratice when got infections at moment got bone infection in my big toe already had 2 toes removed you have to check your sugars before you drive,if infection blood sugars can go sky high.if we did not check our sugars the nhs would end up in turmoil with people going in with complications. It is better to check.

Reactions: 2 people
M

mojo37

Of course, as nicotine replacement items replace cigarettes, so smokers are saving money as they give up and reduce intake overall. So, giving an initial batch of nicotines patches / gum etc seem fair enough, then it seems fair enough for smokers to pay for rest, which may actually help them to invest in using items wisely to achieve end result of giving up completely.

And so too testing strips can help diabetics control and improve their condition and therefore save the Nhs money which was what my arguement was about and as I stated I wasn't having a go at smokers and therefore it in my opinion would be fair enough that this help was available to diabetics. By the way I have probably spent over 200 quid so far since last june on lancets and strips and will have to continue doing so if I want to help myself improve my my own health :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

pzw123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I for one will not be buying test strips whilst drug addicts are prescribed methadone. That's another saving that can be made to as that IS a self - inflicted condition.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Many conditions that people have may have a greater or lesser degree of self-infliction. I am not sure that I want us to play the blame game as a pre-condition for NHS treatment.

Doug