cutting out sugar free drinks.

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A couple of weeks ago I managed to stop drinking Pepsi Max and only drink decaf coffee and water. Since then I have found I only need to get up at night to use the loo once a night instead of three times a night. Any one else found this?

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found this to be true also,I stay away from any carbonated drink after 3 pm
Another thing that helped was getting rid of the memory foam on top of our mattress
Now I can sleep right through till 6 am
I read that foams in general have a negative effect on our kidney
Perhaps someone can comment on this

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, similar result here. Went cold turkey on my Diet Coke habit and getting up less in the night now. Am also managing to just have the odd Diet Coke here and there without adverse effects - no blood sugar spikes and no night time trips!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Diet drinks sometimes contain caffeine and sodium, both of which may cause a degree of fluid retention. Probably not severe unless you drink gallons I suppose.

Sometimes, hydro-static pressure in the kidneys may not be high enough during the day to produce urine, especially if movement is difficult. Water will pool in the feet and ankles even if it's not enough to see, tissues can hold 15% more fluid without it being visible. When one lies down at night, the pressure equalises, undoing the pooling, and the kidneys function as they should.

At least that's what I've been told happens to me because I can sometimes be up every hour, on the hour and sometimes just a couple of time for the whole night. I think the thing with the mattress may be related to the kidneys "having the night off" when not using the mattress. In my case my GP tells me that I have to take into account Lisinopril, Amlodopine and Doxazosin. All of which affect fluid retention. Just googled side effects of all three, which I hadn't!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I can sometimes be up every hour, on the hour and sometimes just a couple of time for the whole night.

Snap. I drink herbal tea before bed now has helped.