cutting test strips and refusing to prescribe a hypokit pen!

asbo

Dislikes
Ppl telling me what to do
Re: cutting test strips and refusing to prescribe a hypokit

Your GP is a idoit, only 50 strips your aloud, I get 200 a month, the set amount your aloud a day is 8 strips a day, do that's on avg 240 per month and that's what the Gov says you can have.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Morganator

It's not just diabetic meds they are scrimping on, I asked for a repeat for 2 epi-pens and got a call from a locum to say I'd had my allocation for this year and why did I need 2 anyway.
My GP was raging when he got back from his holiday, pointed out that he was the one that told me to carry 2 in case one fails and that you can't guarantee getting them with good dates.
I did get a grudging apology from the locum.

BramHall456

Re: PARALYSIS ?????

Teststrips. Get on to your health authority ccg and complain.get advice from NICE web site. Its your Doctor cutting back on his costs at the expence of your life and needs bringing to heal. Have you askes diabeties uk for their advice.all diabetics are being targeted by the goverment who dont give a dam for your life. Get on to your mp if needed.

Sjohn54

My surgery will not prescribe tests trips at all and I have to buy them myself. This works out very expensive and I have to use them carefully which isn't always a good idea.

sw11bloke

thats cause youre type 2 John. Ive heard other similar stories. Alot of type 2 is from obesity or people not living healthier lifestyles which is probably the reason that the NHS do not provide free test strips. The NHS do unfortunately have to regulate these things.

sw11bloke

BTW John do you not even get a prescription for strips where you pay the national NHS prescription charge ?

douguser

Isn't it time an investigation was made into the excessive price of test strips. NHS and everyone buying own strips being royally ripped off ..

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have seen this type of restriction applied twice in th 55 years that I have been treated with insulin as a typre 1 diabetic.
On both occasions the instruction originated in the local PCT.
On both occasions a telephone call to my GP started the process to resolve the shortage.
I periodically have a review with a diabetic specilist who was not impressed to say the least.
The restriction of test strips for Type 1 is not allowed provided that the quantity is not excessive. Talk your normal daily testing schedule thro' with your doctor and ask him to ensure that you are able to get repeats that provide sufficient for a month.

Learn all you can about your diabetic condition, ask questions, gain confidence and like me you can do anything that anyone else does but you will always take your sandwiches with you. Cheese & tomato sanwiches 2 miles offshore on a jetski was not my best choice!!