Cutting toenails with numb toes!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just realised how difficult it can be - after almost chopping the top off 2 toes! Don't know quite how I managed it as I could see what I was doing, but I've cut right down through the quick and now have two very bloody toes.
I think maybe it's time I spoke to the GP surgery about seeing a chiropodist, it can't be good to cut your own toes to shreds! :eek:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I agree, getting a professional to do it is a good idea, and they can also help monitor your feet for complications. I used to see a podiatrist regularly for my ingrown toenails and she would trim all my toenails for me and do a diabetic foot check every time. Since losing a lot of weight I don't go anymore because I no longer have pain from my ingrown toenails. She said obesity contributes to that problem - who knew? :) Another bonus of losing weight.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The neuropathy only started after my BG and weight had gone right down! Think it must be due to the kidney failure but I keep forgetting to ask.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
The neuropathy only started after my BG and weight had gone right down! Think it must be due to the kidney failure but I keep forgetting to ask.
:( It's ironic isn't it? It seems to happen to a lot of people that way.